Page 132 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

This should be fun.
    I hung the leftovers from a deboned WT between two trees suspended with a 1/2" piece of rope.
    We strapped multiple cams over the spot.

The area has quite a bit of bobcat sign.
    Looking forward to the videos

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

guest Guest

Looking forward to some action on above post.

Questions for the more experienced on Blinds being Bushed in, or not.

Recenting, on SitkaSpruces deer hunt thread, he shared some great pics and story of WT bucks, full daylight hours, in very close proximity to the blind. Obviously within X Bow range. Cool. But if you notice his blind is not bushed in and is out there so to speak with blind windows open and the dark looking opening and lines easier to see.
    Could it be that maybe because the blind has been there for some time, the deer are familiar with it? Or, are these deer less educated or the areas some are hunting less pressured making the deer more comfortable?
    Side windows open or not, with Hunter sitting far back?
    Could it be just the Rut kicking in with the more daylight showings?

With the help of some mentors here, I've taken to this sitting and blind thing. But I am hunting a heavy pressured area, I can't possibly leave my blind out for some time or it will certainly walk. We found the deer to stare, or notice us more at the beginning of trying this method.
    Then we bushed in better, narrowed or closed our window, covered window lines with branches, with only one window open. Likely this helps to limit our own scent with no cross wind come through the blind. They seemed more comfortable, but, we want more sight lines not just out front.
    And because of this missed out on a dandy of a buck to our side this year.

When using a bow or XBow, which I hope too next season, you need even more room.

So what say you guys with the more hands on? I appreciate your opinions.

CT
    Last edited by guest; 12-17-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Looking forward to some action on above post.

Questions for the more experienced on Blinds being Bushed in, or not.

Recenting, on SitkaSpruces deer hunt thread, he shared some great pics and story of WT bucks, full daylight hours, in very close proximity to the blind. Obviously within X Bow range. Cool. But if you notice his blind is not bushed in and is out there so to speak with blind windows open and the dark looking opening and lines easier to see.
    Could it be that maybe because the blind has been there for some time, the deer are familiar with it? Or, are these deer less educated or the areas some are hunting less pressured making the deer more comfortable?
    Side windows open or not, with Hunter sitting far back?
    Could it be just the Rut kicking in with the more daylight showings?

With the help of some mentors here, I've taken to this sitting and blind thing. But I am hunting a heavy pressured area, I can't possibly leave my blind out for some time or it will certainly walk. We found the deer to stare, or notice us more at the beginning of trying this method.
    Then we bushed in better, narrowed or closed our window, covered window lines with branches, with only one window open. Likely this helps to limit our own scent with no cross wind come through the blind. They seemed more comfortable, but, we want more sight lines not just out front.
    And because of this missed out on a dandy of a buck to our side this year.

When using a bow or XBow, which I hope too next season, you need even more room.

So what say you guys with the more hands on? I appreciate your opinions.

CT
    Curly

Good questions. I will try to explain what process I do. This is from a few HARD lessons.

First, I hunt crown land, none of my site, nor my hunting buddies, are on private land. We set up licks in late April/early May in either new or old spots and we scout the land, first by GE, then by boot leather. I try to look for pinch points, areas between bedding and feeding and stands of mature spruce (not pine or aspen as they don't provide shelter in the snow seasons) with aspen and open areas. I don't worry about being in proximity to fields or cutblocks, as those areas get the pressure. I look for large tracts of land with mature stands of timber mixed with older cuts and/or cut lines and limited access. Deer are not stupid and they learn. Plus, I usually don't have to worry about my blind walking....knock on wood!!

As for my set up, I get my blinds set us as soon as the bears go nighty night, usually around the 20th of Oct here. I don't set up right beside my licks as the moose will keep the deer away as they hit the lick all season. When I set up my lick, I look for an open area for the blind within 200 y of the lick. Blinds go up and are not brushed in, tried it and it made not difference, but again, low access areas don't get the pressure. After a week with the blind, I start baiting, that way the deer see the blind as just another object in the bush. Remember, deer don't think like us, so don't think like us, think like a deer. They get used to the blind quickly, as my cameras show.

As for the blind, I leave the shooting window and one side window open as they get used to the black spots on the blind. I used to place a garbage bag between the window flap, but that got to be a PITA when cold, so now I just leave it down, unless they call for a snow fall, then I put it up and place the blind bag in the flap. I only use two or 2.5 windows to help see around me, but I set it up as a right hand shot. I sit as far back in the blind as I can. I use old plastic deck chairs, so they don't squeak or make a noise when I move, and I do move around...... I use a Caldwell Field Pod for a rest, as I have Essential Tremor, so it helps making an ethical shot. I use to use a trigger stick, but the Field Pod allows me hands free access to my thermos, feed bad etc.

I dress in black from the waist up, with a black, heavy fleece jacket, black balaclava and toque. I learned this through trial and error and although I have thought about blacking my face with war paint, my balaclava does well enough.

Lots of other tricks out there, lots of experimenting, trial and error and learning. The fun part is trying to see what works for you.

Hopefully other will chine in and add something I would like to try!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I have had this thread pretty much on cruise control this season and haven't taken much time to keep it updated as much as in the past.

Here's a buck I killed a while ago (that's right, I only share a bit, not all).

358mag is always quick to answer the bell if there's knives and packs involved.
    He made quick work of this little fella for packing.
    Killed the buck at last light and had zero interest in packing him out 1.5 km thru blowdown in the dark.
    Two backs and daylight is much better play.

As always, thanks 358!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    358mag is always quick to answer the bell if there's knives involved.
    That's from all the time he spends in Rutland.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Started pulling some of my higher elevation cams as deer have bailed to their winter range.
    Lady O and I had a great afternoon and night on the mountain after family commitments Christmas day.

It was -22 when we finally packed up to head home.
    My only wish is that we could have stayed longer.

The first hike.....

Last edited by Ourea; 12-26-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Found a cow moose that was poached ( or legally killed based on entitlement )
    Pulled it off the spur road and stuck some cams on it.

Last edited by Ourea; 12-26-2017 at 03:57 PM.

After getting 7 or 8 cams pulled we hunkered down for a good old fashion mnt fire.
    With the extreme cold it took a bit to get a blaze going.

This was as good of a spot as any to enjoy the sunset

beauty pics! it's pretty spectacular out there right now.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir