Page 131 of 197 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    This cat stands out as it appears to have quite the tail, seems longer than most.

Is he near a baiting station?

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Is he near a baiting station?
    Feeding station, cougar feeding station lol

Here we go again.

Bownut, I get cougars on cams in transition areas, game trails, pinch points....you name it.
    This particular one is near a site, yes.

I see plenty of wolf and cat tracks when out checking cams....on the roads, crossing the roads, on game trails etc.
    I can say with certainty that there is not a concentration of pred activity around sites.
    I get way more cat videos on transition areas that cross canyons.

Before you go off on a tangent, here's some quantified data.
    22 cams running year round over 6 years....most on video.
    Literally 10's and 10's of thousands of videos and pics.
    Number of pred interaction on wildlife near a site - ZERO encounters documented.
    Also, no concentration of A to B track patterns that go to sites.
    If there were I would be the first to call my observations and concerns out.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Cats walk everywhere so your going to get them on cams..they are easier to pattern then a deer.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Cats walk everywhere so your going to get them on cams..they are easier to pattern then a deer.
    Obvious and good point.
    Cats log endless miles, thats a given.
    They do not "hang" in pred pits, cats are a highly mobile species.

Private ranchland can have up to 100 + WT come out to feed nightly should have cats camped out taking advantage of the bounty presented.
    Nope.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Here we go again.

Bownut, I get cougars on cams in transition areas, game trails, pinch points....you name it.
    This particular one is near a site, yes.

I see plenty of wolf and cat tracks when out checking cams....on the roads, crossing the roads, on game trails etc.
    I can say with certainty that there is not a concentration of pred activity around sites.
    I get way more cat videos on transition areas that cross canyons.

Before you go off on a tangent, here's some quantified data.
    22 cams running year round over 6 years....most on video.
    Literally 10's and 10's of thousands of videos and pics.
    Number of pred interaction on wildlife near a site - ZERO encounters documented.
    Also, no concentration of A to B track patterns that go to sites.
    If there were I would be the first to call my observations and concerns out.
    Just asking, don't get all worked up over it. I don't run cameras so it's all educational on my end.
    Do you monitor your cameras all year?

At least half my cams never leave the bush

At least half my cams never leave the bush
    It would be interesting to see if the Pred. activity increases as winter progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    It would be interesting to see if the Pred. activity increases as winter progresses.
    The cams that I do pull come late Dec is due to snow conditions.
    Game is pretty much pushed out by then.
    Experience has shown me this so rather than let them winter up top I pull them.

Also bownut, you need to really keep a site well maintained for WT to remain interested.
    Once the treats are gone, so are the WT. I appreciate your concerns but I have zero documentation of preds targeting these locations with the exception of the odd hawk and owl taking a run at squirrels or rabbits.

I thought it was only a matter of time before I would eventually get a cat or a wolf taking a run at a WT.
    It would be awesome video to share but after all these years and so many cams, I've got nothing.

guest Guest

I share some concerns with baiting and CWD ...... But I personally put that to rest with how I'm doing it, the lack of food or bait availability to the Deer over long periods of time. Quite frankly, I live hundreds of miles away from where we have put in some homework on finding where and when the Deer are, at certain times. I can't simply run a full on supply station, and I don't think many can, or even want too. Rather then to do a Texas style tower bait drop station, that's used for months and months or year round. Be it you use, corn, alphalpha, apples or what ever, being its not there, year round, month round, or even week to week, I doubt it has ANY affect, other then to slow them down, check it out, have an opportunistic snack. This I found to be true while placing a few snacks here and there, on different shooting lanes rather then a giant mother load in one spot. As the Deer walked along the trails, they stopped to have a snack.

Get the Ladies to hang out, leave their scent for some bucks to hopefully get some interest, and maybe an opportunity to harvest a buck.

Seven days, four guys, six sets, a few small bucks passed up, eventually, two 5pt Bucks and one spike harvested on day seven. Hardly what I would call a parade to the sets. More the RUT kicking in then a parade to easy food. This the last week of the season, in a high density WT range and migration moving Deer.

As as for a predator pit, no, not one cougar or wolf, two yotes, and bears on cam early season only, appears they like to sleep on a soft bed lol.

Just my two cents .
    Last edited by guest; 12-11-2017 at 11:35 AM.