Thread: First Season of Hunting Success! Whitetail Story

First Season of Hunting Success! Whitetail Story

Hi Folks,

Quite pleased to say that I managed to get a whitetail during my first season hunting.

Took about 8 or 9 solid days this November - It's been a ride of me trying to learn as much as I can and find good areas with no previous scouting information (or really knowing what I was doing) - I've had a harem of elk + a bull walk by me within 10 yards, been traumatized by more grouse than I can count, had a close encounter with a moose, several mule deer pass by (out of season), and saw the backs of 5 or 6 whitetails.

Typically a day out for me would be trying to sit or still-hunt in the morning, spend the afternoon scouting, and then sit somewhere or still-hunt in the last light of the day. I have no stands so this was all done on the ground. I would try to leave a week between hunting an area and scouting it.

Today was my second last day I could hunt in the season and the weather was good, (low/high -4/3) - I figured I would go to one of the better areas I have found. It requires walking through a regional park to the crown land beyond and is about a 1 - 1.5 hour walk in the dark, gaining maybe 300-400 feet elevation.

I didn't quite make it as far as I would have liked as I hit shooting light but I thought, I'm beyond the hills and into good edge habitat, I might as well hunt here. (I also had bumped a whitetail entering the edge which I figured was a good sign) the ground was slightly frozen and filled with crunchy leaves. I cleared a spot in the leaves to put my stool while hitting my grunt tube, attempting to make it sound like a buck was in the area and was hitting a scrape rather than human noise.

As I get settled a squirrel will not let up on me. Continuously alarm chattering for over twenty minutes. Takes a small break to make the "no longer pissed but predator still in area" noises, and then starts chattering again. At a certain point I think, "asshole." and decide to move. I realize that although there are many trails in this area and I am facing into the wind I had chose the bottom of the area, and I might have better luck with thermals and visibility if I ascend to a small rise.

I slowly make my way there and lean my rifle against a tree to take a piss. I have my pants half undone when a buck runs within 15 yards of me and we are staring at each other. I slowly turn around, slip my ear muffs on and grab my rifle. There is slight cover between us and I wait until the buck's line of sight is hidden before raising the rifle. I get a shot off.

The buck runs about 100 yards before hitting cover. I don't hear him hit the ground hard, and am unsure if it was a clean shot. I wait about 30 minutes before approaching. At the 32 minute mark a seemingly identical buck cruises maybe 50 yards through moderate cover around me. I wonder if I missed entirely and the same deer is coming back around? I raise my rifle and have a sub-par broadside shot, but I don't take it as I am unsure what is happening.

I find the deer roughly where I thought it should be and begin the process of dragging it out of the woods. I had a friend meet me half way, it takes us about 2 - 2.5 hours to drag it to the truck. I'm lucky that my landlord is a generational hunter and he mentored me skinning/quartering the deer. I ended up taking out the bottom of the deer's heart and at least one lung with the round. It was a shoulder shot so I lost some meat in the process.

Been a extremely rewarding and exhausting day. All in took about 13 hours from leaving my house to having the deer fully processed. Definitely stoked that I got a deer my first season and have a few of you to thank for the advice along the way.

- I am curious how much my decision to use my grunt tube and try to mimic a buck scraping influenced those two young bucks to be in the area. The guy definitely came up at me like he expected me to be a deer. Unsure how much this actually influenced anything but will definitely be trying to mask human noises with calling and noise in the future.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231125-082228.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	9150  

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Season of Hunting Success! Whitetail Story

Well done, congratulations on your first deer.

Congrats that’s a great story.

Congrats Dan! Sounds like you had a solid plan. That always helps! That will be a tasty buck!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Nice buck! Way to go.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Nice to see your hard work paid off this year, congratulations!
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

Congrats. Nice buck. Haven't met a hunter yet that likes chipmunks haha
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Way to go Dan ! Your first year and you harvested a whitetail I’d say that’s great .
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Thumbs up Re: First Season of Hunting Success! Whitetail Story

Excellent!

Congrats on your first!
    He is going to be right tasty!

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me