Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Nope can't see em Harry.
    Good luck, happy safe hunting.
    Keep em coming though,
    making HBC great again.
    Thanks for all your posts.

^^^^you bet, thanks....really enjoy this thread, thems whitetails are cagey critters, and whenever I still hunt I'm impressed every time with how well they can spot movement, just incredible resilient critters....you can see the curve of his antlers if you look closely in about the center of the pic...

The screen can be Zoomed out on the above picture by holding the Ctrl button and then rolling the wheel on your mouse in and out. Makes it a little easier to pick out the buck. I have few cool videos that I'll post up when I get a chance.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

^^^look forward to the pics....I checked my cam on Sunday afternoon when hunting with my 8 year old son....sure enough, a nice 5x5 had walked by at 8:00 in the morning - damn...will post the pic once I retrieve my SD card again...I'll hopefully get a couple cracks at him with the recurve..

We had Nov 14-22nd booked off to chase local whities but plans changed and we opted to head to hunt with friends in Alberta.

Missing the peak around here sucked as I’ve never seen so many different bucks on cam. New bucks just kept appearing.

Will have to try to get it done with the bow but time has gotten really tight.

Thanks to all that have shared! You guys rock!

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Lots of nice deer and congratulations.
    I dont know how to post pics.
    Crazy year this year. I was hoping to get together with Jim and Don but covid and my work situation didn't allow it to happen. On a plus note I seen more whitetails this year then probably in the last 5 years combined. They were all in my hayfield. The best count I got was 30. Seems a good percentage were bucks. In total 8 deer were tagged of my land by friends and family. 5 bucks were shot 4 of which were by first time hunters. Most were small with lots of room to grow but my brother did spank one. It wasn't huge by any means maybe max 140" but probably in reality 130". It was his first one and to top it off it was on his birthday. He's a pretty happy fella.

^^^^^good to hear you guys are seeing decent numbers...i only have maybe 2 more outings with the bow but they should be interesting...

As I’m new to whitetails and blind hunting I thought I’d ask here (lots of whitetail experience here). I’m bow hunting and last weekend I found a decent funnel of game trails with a rub and a couple of scrapes. I set up a makeshift ground blind from cut branches and sat all day. Around 2pm a fork buck appears and approaches from behind at 6 yards. He scents me but paces back and forth within 10 yards trying to figure out what’s wrong. Every time I lift my bow he busts my movements and stares at me for a minute or so. Eventually I raise my bow too much and he takes off. Not panicking but not comfortable and out of bow range. Two questions. 1.) I only saw one animal all day and slightly spooked him, should I hunt a new spot or should it be fine? 2. How do you draw from a blind in such close quarters without getting busted? I’m used to still hunting black tails in thick timber. Different game altogether. Thanks for any tips!

Quote Originally Posted by VI Hunter View Post
    As I’m new to whitetails and blind hunting I thought I’d ask here (lots of whitetail experience here). I’m bow hunting and last weekend I found a decent funnel of game trails with a rub and a couple of scrapes. I set up a makeshift ground blind from cut branches and sat all day. Around 2pm a fork buck appears and approaches from behind at 6 yards. He scents me but paces back and forth within 10 yards trying to figure out what’s wrong. Every time I lift my bow he busts my movements and stares at me for a minute or so. Eventually I raise my bow too much and he takes off. Not panicking but not comfortable and out of bow range. Two questions. 1.) I only saw one animal all day and slightly spooked him, should I hunt a new spot or should it be fine? 2. How do you draw from a blind in such close quarters without getting busted? I’m used to still hunting black tails in thick timber. Different game altogether. Thanks for any tips!
    You can certainly do it from the ground but it’s a lot tougher.
    A tree stand will increase your odds significantly

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by VI Hunter View Post

treestand will help with movement and get your scent trail off the ground in close....they will still notice excessive movement though

a pop up ground blind will help with movement on the ground, brush it in and leave it setup

or you can just build up a thicker natural ground blind, but I would let the area time to settle if you made a big ruckus doing that....I only build/use those natural blinds in spots with longer shots, don't like them to hunt in close like what you described
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster