Page 125 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

I have to mention I can't wrap my head around the giant hay bail and apples scattered all over the ground. What is hunting coming to these days? Do you guys really think that's the ultimate way to kill a big mature whitetail? I'm all for killing mature bucks but where is the fair chase in this set up? I know I'm derailing this thread a bit by my comments but I feel very strong that this type of hunting is down right redoculous. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blaker_99 View Post
    I have to mention I can't wrap my head around the giant hay bail and apples scattered all over the ground. What is hunting coming to these days? Do you guys really think that's the ultimate way to kill a big mature whitetail? I'm all for killing mature bucks but where is the fair chase in this set up? I know I'm derailing this thread a bit by my comments but I feel very strong that this type of hunting is down right redoculous. Just my opinion.
    Just curious to know if you've tried baiting whitetail? I did this year for the first time. Sat in the blind for about 40 hours. Usually temperatures were between -10c and -25c. Also spent another 15 hours or so sitting with no blind and my back up against a tree. I didn't shoot a deer this year, it's not like shooting fish in a barrel. It's not even comparable to baiting bears (which also has valid reasons for being legal in some jurisdictions).

If I were you I'd just stick with what you know. Or re-direct your criticism to the road hunters, because lets be honest, there's no fair chase in that.

Your opinion blaker_99 and I take no offence and no worries.
    It is one technique of many used.
    It is also legal and nowhere near as easy as you may think far as results.

The spirit of this thread was to take on a challenge to prove that there are Boone WT in an area that has very low WT density where most are claiming is shot out. With that understanding I have been offering insight and observations with the sole interest of helping others.

For thought.....
    Baiting for bears is 10 times more effective than WT
    Land owners that shoot huge deer off their fields every year that are posted.
    The list goes on.

Also, I have never shot a buck yet in this process....just friends and colleagues that I have helped out.
    Last edited by Ourea; 11-29-2017 at 08:29 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I was introduced to this way of hunting 5 years ago. Was skeptical as I thought it was way too easy to kill a mature buck. I mean, throw out a blind, throw out some grain/alfalfa and wait until my dream buck shows up......and wait I did. In an area where I was getting 2000+ pictures a week of deer on the camera, I sat for 48 hours, saw a total of 6 deer (3 does, 2 fawns and one buck) and killed a mature buck on my last day. It really opened up my eyes, to not only that this was not easy physically and mentally, but to kill a mature buck takes a ton of time and effort no matter what method you chose to hunt them.

It is just another tool in my box on chasing whitetails. No different than sneaking through the timber, sitting in a tree stand or driving the roads, all will kill a deer if you do some work and lady luck rides along with you.

As hunters we need to support all legal methods of hunting, no matter if you agree with them or not. I try real hard not to get pissed off at hunters who decide to drive the edge of fields that they have permission on instead of walking them, but it is legal and they are hunting.....

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    You would sit in someone else’s blind? Hope you don’t mind if I borrow your quad for a bit. Maybe I’ll go through your backpack and borrow some items for the day.

Crown land is public and people can hunt where they want. Most of us expect that but sitting in someone else’s blind they purchased, over a site they put a ton of work into is just so pathetic imo.

Any of my partners would just tip their cap and keep on moving. Plenty of land out there for everyone without stepping on each other. Most hunters would be amazed at what they find out there by putting in a little sweat and covering some miles.
    Relax HighCountry, I didn't say that I would sit in someone's store bought blind. However, we are talking about public land and I feel that we need to treat it as public land.

If I put up a tree stand, I would hope that no one else would use it. If I pack in a pop-up, I pack it out. If I construct a blind from logs and stuff, I would assume that others might use it. I don't own the materials, I don't own the land and I would be pretty entitled to think that B/C I cut a few shooting lanes and brushed in some logs, that I had exclusive hunting rights.

Yesterday I tip-toed into a spot where I saw a couple of whitetails on the weekend, and peeked over the bank. Stood and watched for a bit, then looked up the trail I was on to see a buck standing broadside at 50 yards staring at me.

Oddly, they always seem to decide to bolt just as my gun settles on my shoulder...

On the bright side, I did wage a texting war with Ourea and convinced his hunting partner to shoot a buck they were watching.

Rut is definitely on. The number of rubs I saw yesterday was incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

It's been as good as year for whitetails this year as I can recall in the past decade....at least from the hunters I know

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

guest Guest

I know I'm derailing this thread a bit by my comments but I feel very strong that this type of hunting is down right redoculous. Just my opinion.
    Just have to ask blaker, do you hunt with spear, a bow and arrow, knife, slingshot, catapult? Fair chase you say .....humm really?

to give you some back ground. I've been involved in hunting for over 50 years. I've harvest all of BC Big Game. I've busted my ass my entire adult life to seek the solitude, the glory the shear beauty of the great outdoors and all its splendours . I've hunted via horse back, river boat, truck, ATV and the love of my experiences, via back packing.

Through this I've harvested Mnt Sheep, Goat, Elk, Moose, Mule Deer WTail etcetc including B and G Bear.
    The dollars I have contributed into this economy to be able to enjoy my time afield are to me, huge. Thousands and thousands of dollars over many years.

The time away from family, in the efforts of outdoor fulfilment have been unmeasurable. Yet they got it, get it, and know it brings me back to earth.

I agree nothing is better then bust your balls for remote hunting, the wind in your face, high on some knife edge ridge, looking extensively in every hole possible for your sought after quarry. I'd love to do that again, every year, numerous times a year. If only I could. Unfortunately I can't. But I won't lay down or give up either .

Life has dealt me some hard blows to my health. Those special places I used to regularly visit, to crave, to desire the solitude and peacefulness of are ...... well, dam hard or near impossible for me to access any more. Yet I strive to continue to hunt, to keep going, to pass on and share my experiences to those special to me. To spend as much time in the outdoors afield with my family.

This type of hunting allows me to do just that. I can't possibly go like I used too due to my health.

Ive never been one to stop my burning desire to get out there. Several trips for Goat, Sheep, Elk etc etc returning year after year, until finally successful has been rewarding, the hard work and dedication finally paying off.

Ive never harvested a huge WTail, shot lots, bucks and does over many many years. That said, I've never been a Boone and Crockett kind of guy either. I could care less if any if my critters are in any dam record book. Not one to turn down a biggy either though, it's just not about that for me and mine.

Through reaching out out for some help, some folks I greatly appreciate have helped me understand and Learn this process. You know who you are and I am forever grateful to you !

I have just spent some very good times with family and friends afield. Doing this type of hunt. A few members of My family have harvested deer though this method, and we've shared some special times together rather then driving around on quads, in a heated truck or side by side. On two trips, Through 14 days if sitting, about 9 to 10 hours a day, we passed on several does and bucks, by all of us, 4 and 5 persons per trip. Great shares with all of us. We harvested two doe, and three bucks ....... It's not all about killing, or tagging out.

Through the year we put a ton of effort through several trips to find Accessable areas to us all. Spent a lot of time yet again finding special places for us to hunt ...... Together. To share the outdoors.

If you think this is a GIVEN to ultimate Trophy Class WTail, if you think this is easy, if you think it's shameful and wrong, if you think it's an Ace in the Hole .......to Huge bucks...... You Couldn't be more incorrect.

We all choose our paths, yours isn't blind hunting or baiting, so be it but don't slam those that do. It's perfectly legal and just another way to enjoy time afield in the great outdoors with special people.

CT

Well written Curly Top ! Thanks - I Totally agree with you ! RJ

Had a friend sit with me on Wed.
    He would be happy with any buck so up the hill we went late afternoon.

After about an hour a smaller 4 point showed up.
    We sat on him for about 20 mins in the event a bigger buck may make an appearance.
    The call was made.........

Great meat buck.

Last edited by Ourea; 12-01-2017 at 12:55 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea