Page 191 of 197 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 1961

Thread: Some Big Whities For Ya...

Re: Some Big Whities For Ya...

one of the best threads on HBC, always fun to read through

on the topic of man made scrapes, does anybody get pics of mature bucks using them? I find I get lots of interest from juvenile bucks, but never caught a mature buck on cam using my scrapes....I would probably say my fake scrapes pushed a mature buck away couple years ago...I analyze that season decisions often lol
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I have invested hundreds of hrs in the field and shared to help others in being successful with starting this thread, that was the objective.

On the scrape thing..... I would take a pick axe and hammer out a 10 x 10 ft spot. I was intrigued how inquisitive WT were over this adjustment to their world. My personal thought based on experience is go to town on the scrape thing. As sensitive as WT are the they are extremely curious critters

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I would take a pick axe and hammer out a 10 x 10 ft spot. I was intrigued how inquisitive WT were over this adjustment to their world. My personal thought based on experience is go to town on the scrape thing. As sensitive as WT are the they are extremely curious critters
    I might do exactly this in my new WT area. I’ve got no baseline on their activity level yet, so nothing to mess up. Won’t be able to get to it for a week though.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Thanks Mr. Bartell for posting your pics ! Sitka for your information and video ! Also Redthies for your posts !
    If I missed someone my apologies !
    You are sharing information that help us unfamiliar to Whitetails ! Good Karma to you !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

This thread blows me away.

I am in the Kamloops area(within an hour) and I know of lots of people tagging nice, mature bucks varying distances away from me.. a cranker was shot about 20km as the crow flies from my spot… with that being said..

I have numerous cameras out, I fill at least one white tail tag every year and I see bucks, but in person or on my cameras the biggest bucks I’ve seen in 5 years hunting this pocket are little basket bucks.. maybe the 2 year old mark? And. A handful of spikes and forks… I assume those basket bucks would get the job done as far as breeding,and could be responsible for the fawns I see every year but is it possible there just isn’t and hasn’t been any big bucks in or around this pocket ? The entire area lacks scrapes, rubs or generally any sign of a mature Buck period.

rough estimate there are about 18 adult deer mostly does and most with fawns
    (couple Of the bucks in the area are the fawns) and 4 bucks, a basket and a couple spikers that call this valley home.. and since we have a two doe season here, I figure if others knew about this spot that the does and small bucks would be getting shot or at least blown out but as far as I can tell I’m the only one harvesting white tails out of this pocket, at least consistently and purposely… so, where are the big boys!? Why don’t they come breed these does? And is there any way to attract them? That’s my big question.. I could understand me not seeing them, but the cameras not even getting a glimpse any time of the year?
    The deer are consistently there.. to the point I’ve got a white tail on first trip 2 seasons in a row and in the first weekend the year prior.

last night I only came across one Buck, a “8” point(between both sides) but his tines were only a couple inches long and he might have weighed 80lbs lol I’ll hold this tag until December 10th hoping for a mature one… but I’d love to figure out where the big guys are and why they aren’t here! I’m not about to give up a spot that fills the freezer but, a mature white tail Buck is one of the only things I’ve hunted that I just can’t seal the deal on so it’s motivating me to say the least.

similar for me as well see a fair number of smaller bucks .a couple big ones on my trail cams but just are rare appearance no pattern to speak of.also in the kamloops area

Ryo THC your inbox must be full.
    Tried to send you messages. No worky
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Imdone View Post
    Ryo THC your inbox must be full.
    Tried to send you messages. No worky
    my apologies, didn’t realize I hit the limit again.
    give it another go, should be plenty of room now.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    This thread blows me away.

I am in the Kamloops area(within an hour) and I know of lots of people tagging nice, mature bucks varying distances away from me.. a cranker was shot about 20km as the crow flies from my spot… with that being said..

I have numerous cameras out, I fill at least one white tail tag every year and I see bucks, but in person or on my cameras the biggest bucks I’ve seen in 5 years hunting this pocket are little basket bucks.. maybe the 2 year old mark? And. A handful of spikes and forks… I assume those basket bucks would get the job done as far as breeding,and could be responsible for the fawns I see every year but is it possible there just isn’t and hasn’t been any big bucks in or around this pocket ? The entire area lacks scrapes, rubs or generally any sign of a mature Buck period.

rough estimate there are about 18 adult deer mostly does and most with fawns
    (couple Of the bucks in the area are the fawns) and 4 bucks, a basket and a couple spikers that call this valley home.. and since we have a two doe season here, I figure if others knew about this spot that the does and small bucks would be getting shot or at least blown out but as far as I can tell I’m the only one harvesting white tails out of this pocket, at least consistently and purposely… so, where are the big boys!? Why don’t they come breed these does? And is there any way to attract them? That’s my big question.. I could understand me not seeing them, but the cameras not even getting a glimpse any time of the year?
    The deer are consistently there.. to the point I’ve got a white tail on first trip 2 seasons in a row and in the first weekend the year prior.

last night I only came across one Buck, a “8” point(between both sides) but his tines were only a couple inches long and he might have weighed 80lbs lol I’ll hold this tag until December 10th hoping for a mature one… but I’d love to figure out where the big guys are and why they aren’t here! I’m not about to give up a spot that fills the freezer but, a mature white tail Buck is one of the only things I’ve hunted that I just can’t seal the deal on so it’s motivating me to say the least.
    The big boys are around, some one is breeding the ladies. They will come through, check out the ladies, breed if a doe is ready and then move on. They are not like mule deer and have a small harem, they are mostly solitary animals and move around, searching for the ladies.

Look for thicker areas with cover and escape routes. Look for pinch points between areas that are more open, have good cover where the deer feel safe moving from one spot to another. Look for the trails and hang a camera in those spots, make a fake scrape or do what Ourea suggested. Whitetail bucks are smart, especially in areas that get pressure like the OK/Kamloops area. They basically become nocturnal, that why you need to find the ladies as they will be the magnet that has the bucks drop their guard.

And hunt the ladies, forget about looking for the bucks.

Good Luck

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Plans for hunting the rut this coming weekend may be in jeopardy because of work. Any report on what the weather is like east of Penticton around the 1300m mark? How much snow? I know its going to be cold but heard there is a lot of snow on the ground.
    Last edited by ekul246; 11-15-2022 at 06:15 PM.