Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grouse hunting with a bow

Re: Grouse hunting with a bow

A judo pont on a cheap arrow is what I use
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

I'm new to hunting (especially archery, just got my bow this year). I'm shooting at 70# with a bear g2 cruzer, I feel like thats way overkill for grouse/small game.

I just bought some tips, they look very similar to this
    http://www.lancasterarchery.com/saun...on-100-gr.html
    with some of the arrows I initially bought with the bow.

From what I've heard, make sure you have a nice soft backdrop, aim for the head, and expect to have some arrows break/get lost.

Are their any other tips to finding grouse/upland game birds, or places I should expect to look. I'm expecting to do most of my hunting up near Squamish if that helps with any suggestions. I don't need specific areas but just like, "look for aspen" or "they like eating clover" kind of information when I go on my own scouting trips for blacktails.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    that's what I used to use they break the neck do a flip and lay there . put them on a heavy shaft

Quote Originally Posted by grousetrap View Post
    I'm new to hunting (especially archery, just got my bow this year). I'm shooting at 70# with a bear g2 cruzer, I feel like thats way overkill for grouse/small game.

I just bought some tips, they look very similar to this
    http://www.lancasterarchery.com/saun...on-100-gr.html
    with some of the arrows I initially bought with the bow.

From what I've heard, make sure you have a nice soft backdrop, aim for the head, and expect to have some arrows break/get lost.

Are their any other tips to finding grouse/upland game birds, or places I should expect to look. I'm expecting to do most of my hunting up near Squamish if that helps with any suggestions. I don't need specific areas but just like, "look for aspen" or "they like eating clover" kind of information when I go on my own scouting trips for blacktails.

Thanks in advance!
    Judo points work well too, cheap. They help when missing as the snag up pretty good on things. I wouldn't bother trying to hit them in the head with a bow unless you're close, anywhere will do. If you're looking to hit them in trees, you might want a flu-flu arrow. That;s the disadvantage with a bow, reluctance to hit them above ground or on the wing.

Most people find grouse along roads, usually with where there's conifers by the road. They like to pick up small rocks/gravel for their gizzards. Where there's one on the road, there's usually 3-4 in the tree bush beside the road.

alibaba a dollar a arrow...

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Judo points work well too, cheap. .... , you might want a flu-flu arrow. ....

Most people find grouse along roads, usually with where there's conifers by the road. They like to pick up small rocks/gravel for their gizzards. Where there's one on the road, there's usually 3-4 in the tree bush beside the road.
    Thanks for the advice, definitely going to take that into account when I go hunting next time, especially the birds hiding in the bush nearby. Looking forward to getting out there maybe this weekend in squamish, possibly region 2-8, hopefully I get something for dinner!

I got a dozen neon yellow arrows (with field tips, ready to shoot) from wish.com for $20 delivered from China. Bought some Judo heads, so average arrow is about $2.50 with the Judo having the highest cost of it. Never lose them since they're bright yellow. They aren't good long range but quick shot at a grouse they do the trick. Much rather use them than a $10 arrow shaft plus head...

Quote Originally Posted by grousetrap View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Grousetrap, there was a thread a number of years ago started by a self-proclaimed grouse slayer. He said in any group of grouse there is usually a momma hen that looks after the brood and sounds the alarm. He said she was the most vocal and a bit more alert than the others and if you picked her off first you could often take the others one by one.

I haven't proven or disproven the theory in the time since but it always stuck with me as an interesting theory.

And as others have pointed out... gravel roads. Often after a rain, often in early morning and late evening, often just whenever you aren't expecting them, like when you are intently stalking a buck and five of them erupt from the ground beneath your feet
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Grousetrap, there was a thread a number of years ago started by a self-proclaimed grouse slayer. He said in any group of grouse there is usually a momma hen that looks after the brood and sounds the alarm. He said she was the most vocal and a bit more alert than the others and if you picked her off first you could often take the others one by one.

I haven't proven or disproven the theory in the time since but it always stuck with me as an interesting theory.

And as others have pointed out... gravel roads. Often after a rain, often in early morning and late evening, often just whenever you aren't expecting them, like when you are intently stalking a buck and five of them erupt from the ground beneath your feet
    Your momma hen sounds a lot like the "mama san" from a different post
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...grouse-hunting
    I read through that one, sounds like a fairly consistent theory from a couple people. I'm the same as you though haven't gotten out enough to proven or disprove.

Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll have to be extra vigilant not to spook any grouse when I'm stalking for blacktail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I'm sure there is much more modern stuff out there now, but I used to sluice grouse with a blunt tip from my longbow. I used "flu flu" arrows which were hard to lose, and I also used just regular arrows with blunt tips, which were more effective but you had to keep an eye on them or they dissapeared into the ground!
    Used blunts with my compound on grouse and ptarmigan , aimed for the neck head and had great success.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom