Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse hunting with a bow

Grouse hunting with a bow

I'm going to be participating in this years archery season in region 1, where there is a bow only opening for grouse.

My question is, what kind of arrow heads does one use for killing upland game birds?
    Are regular field points legal? (I think they are I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion...)
    Any other recommendations?

Ill be ground sluicing them...

Thanks, and good luck in the upcoming season to all!
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse hunting with a bow

I'm sure there is much more modern stuff out there now, but I used to sluice grouse with a blunt tip from my longbow. I used "flu flu" arrows which were hard to lose, and I also used just regular arrows with blunt tips, which were more effective but you had to keep an eye on them or they dissapeared into the ground!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I havent done it yet either but plan to this year. I have a set of JUDO blunt tips I plan to use.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Judo Points will do the job and if you miss will help to keep the arrow from slipping under the surface. Might also pick up some G5 Small Game heads but they are really overkill on grouse, expensive too. go with the Judo points. Be prepared to loose some arrows... had a grouse fly away with an arrow once. Errrr
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

At livewire: what bow are you shooting longbow compound?
    Judo tips or the bigger variant.shoot for the head.
    or blunts, you can take a spent 38 cartridge and glue/epoxy it on to a field tip, makes for a good blunt (and cheap). I have killed yotes with the G5, they penetrate nicely. And at close range shooting into the ground you will break a lot of arrows. Flu-flus are good but not on compounds.

I've killed lots of grouse with my compound. Used to use judo but they are pricey compared to blunts, and I think blunts work better anyway. Chose your back drop carefully. Look for a bank or rotten log, something to stop your arrow or you will lose lots. I just carry a blunt in my pocket when hunting and if I want to shoot I unscrew my broad head and leave it in the quiver foam screw on the blunt, shoot and reverse. There was a good tip on here before about making blunts by drilling a beer cap and screwing it behind a field tip, sounded promising.

Get some really cheap arrows your going to be disappointed. If during the season you break or lose 4 graphites and say 4 judo points your out $50. Do that a few years and you could have a cheap 410. It's not worth it to me unless you have the perfect shot with the perfect backstop. A dead grouse and a broken arrow in my opinion is not worth it.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

That's the truth! I don't shoot as many as I used to, and I only take shots with a nice soft background.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I have shot many grouse with compound bows. As was said, carry along some cheap arrows. I use judo points, blunts, and wire loop heads. I tried flu flus but they don't work well from modern bows, don't hit hard, and don't match your normal sight settings. The wire loops need to be fired from high energy bows. (I don't recommend them for large birds like blue grouse) I like them for spruce, willow, and quail. The wire loops catch foliage easily so you don't lose or break as many arrows.