Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelowna + Area Elk Hunt Suggestions

Re: Kelowna + Area Elk Hunt Suggestions

Head East, hard hunting them around these hills, if you enjoy calling in other hunters then have at er.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Go to the koots, better elk Huntig there
    Im with you....spend a little extra fuel to get there but increase your odds greatly
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Like the others have said, Elk numbers are greater in the Kootenays. If you're looking to have a good chance at bagging an elk in the first year or two of your elk hunting, I would suggest the Kootenays as well. If you're looking to hunt elk in your back yard, regardless of success and amount of time you have to put in, DO IT! They're out there, and there are plenty of legal bulls to go around, I hunt a very small area and have multiple legal bulls on the cams this year, I won't even be in region to be hunting them so they'll be there for you too
    In this heat, get into cooler draws, thick bush, and you'll find bedding areas. Set up some cams to have some fun and at least know they're there. Gives you hope for the season!

Don't eat pepperoni anywhere around the time you plan on hunting elk. It'll spoil a hunt in a hurry Same goes for chilli and a high protein diet!

Good luck!

hey bud ill send you some info in a pm, I lived there for five years and hunted hard with no one giving up any advice, hopefully I can point you in the right direction
    "I have killed two people since midnight, I haven's slept in 24 hours. So maybe... maybe you should be a little more afraid of me then you are right now"

"Hunting is more than a sport and more than a job; hunting is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."

Region 8 elk is like the Pitt marsh of ducks. They're everywhere! Plus virtually no pressure because everyone tells you they're impossible to find! And everyone buys that!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Region 8 elk is like the Pitt marsh of ducks. They're everywhere! Plus virtually no pressure because everyone tells you they're impossible to find! And everyone buys that!
    Hahaha that's funny

The funny thing is Big Boar's comment isn't far off the mark. Region 8 elk really strike a nerve with some people on here. The elk are there, and good elk hunting is good elk hunting, whether it's the Okanagan, the Kootenays or elsewhere. Put in some time to find them and you're off and running.

Steer clear of the South parking lot in 8-09 to avoid the gongshow and you'll do just fine.
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by nickroth View Post
    The funny thing is Big Boar's comment isn't far off the mark. Region 8 elk really strike a nerve with some people on here. The elk are there, and good elk hunting is good elk hunting, whether it's the Okanagan, the Kootenays or elsewhere. Put in some time to find them and you're off and running.

Steer clear of the South parking lot in 8-09 to avoid the gongshow and you'll do just fine.
    And the North parking lot not a lot better one of the few places that have valet parking .....
    Hard to believe its been 10 years since the Fire and the start of the gong show in 8-09 Good luck to all ,keep putting lots of miles on your quads and trucks .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by nickroth View Post
    No problem. Region 8 is no gimme by any means but there are plenty of elk to be had with harvest usually being just above or below 50 bulls. 8-09, 8-14 and 8-15 usually make up the bulk of 6pt harvest. 8-04 and 8-05 always produce a few bulls as well.
    Region 8 boasts a modest elk population.....plenty of elk would be a slight overstatement.

Some things you should be aware of....
    Temps in region 8 can easily be in the upper twenties with no cloud cover making elk activity happen in very short windows especially in the OK Valley.
    Be prepared for that.

Think cover.
    Think cool.
    Think thick.

Appreciate that most hunters have an eye on harvesting a reg 8 elk.
    That coupled with proximity to major urban population means pressure. Elk and pressure go together like oil and water.
    After opening day you need to be prepared to get back well off the beaten path.
    It's a tough challenge without some working knowledge of the area you wish to hunt...but never say never.

Make a focused and calculated effort and you should find where some elk are...........the rest is up to you.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Nice thing about an elk hunt in the okanogan I you have a good chance at a nice mulie at the same time whereas in the kootneys there's no more mulies

White tails ate them all