Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Hunting in the West Kootenays (HELP NEEDED PLEASE)

Re: Rabbit Hunting in the West Kootenays (HELP NEEDED PLEASE)

Would a corolla be okay on Bear Creek Rd?

Quote Originally Posted by bcbrez View Post
    Try the Pend Oreille or Bear Creek.

I always seem to find them in the same areas that hold lots of chickens, with willows along the roads and more deciduous forests. I don't shoot them, but always see them

from my limited experience bunnies tend to be in pretty short supply in the trail/rossland area. saw three the other morning but that's the first ones in half a dozen trips out so you never know when you might come across them. higher does seem better than lower from what I've seen & in our area at least, they seem to prefer roadsides in dark timber with lots of water about. some of the roads above nancy greene have that but with the corolla you'll likely be on foot as west kootenay backroads tend to be on the rough side. make sure to take a bucket with you, pick huckleberries while you're out. cascade highway and nancy greene area both have lots of them right now & you'll at least have something to take home other than memories. another longer term approach is to go out after the first few snowfalls & find the areas with the most tracks. go back next summer. I don't think they move far season to season.

Do you figure sunrise (5:30am) would be better or Sunset (8-9pm)? In about 7 trips on cascade I've seen 3 like I noted above, but of course none of them ended up in my hands. I think the biggest problem there is the traffic, however when I went last night from 6:30-8:10ish, there were no other vehicles, but also no rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    from my limited experience bunnies tend to be in pretty short supply in the trail/rossland area. saw three the other morning but that's the first ones in half a dozen trips out so you never know when you might come across them. higher does seem better than lower from what I've seen & in our area at least, they seem to prefer roadsides in dark timber with lots of water about. some of the roads above nancy greene have that but with the corolla you'll likely be on foot as west kootenay backroads tend to be on the rough side. make sure to take a bucket with you, pick huckleberries while you're out. cascade highway and nancy greene area both have lots of them right now & you'll at least have something to take home other than memories. another longer term approach is to go out after the first few snowfalls & find the areas with the most tracks. go back next summer. I don't think they move far season to season.

Find a different road, I see few at dawn but many at dusk!

Try the ski trails at the base of the paulson on highway 3, you can drive your car in about 1/2 km park and walk the more grown-in trails. Usually find them not too for from water where there is a fare amount of brush sitting on the edge of the grass.
    If you want to become a master fisherman
    first you have to become a master baiter

And as far as spooking them make sure u wear full camo and face paint....wascally wabbits ...u should come to the east koots I hit three with my truck in about 1/4 mile ..no joke

No way! Where abouts? I'd kill for that!... I would actually kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by bforce750 View Post
    And as far as spooking them make sure u wear full camo and face paint....wascally wabbits ...u should come to the east koots I hit three with my truck in about 1/4 mile ..no joke

I'm unsure if this helps but... I live in the Okanagan, and I find that at this time of the year, Hare's and Rabbits like the morning sunshine. In the last 2 weeks I've been going between 07:00am and 0945am and shot plenty with my .22 Savage. I even took a picture with my son and posted it on the site.

Hares are where you find them. Put lots of miles on, drive really slow, pay attention to the type of country where you see them, the altitude, proximity to water, time of day, types of trees and bushes etc. Once you find an area where you see them regularly get out of the truck and have a look around. Last week I was in the Similkameen and saw lots, took enough for one meal for the family but passed up a dozen more shots at least, not counting the ones I couldn't have got a shot at. One road I'd regularly see 3 or 4 in the same mile long stretch nearly every morning I went through there.