Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt

Re: Salt

Nothing wrong with good ole' windsor boxed table salt. However I find after a while of transporting, weathering etc. The box can leak salt all over the place. Plus I had to haul 10 stupid individual boxes all over the place whilst hunting to prepare my bear. Next time its bagged salt from Costco, and im going to get another Heavyduty bag and put it over just to be sure.

Found the same, with the card board boxes of salt, so I transfer into a tougher lidded container, or seal in a Zip-Loc for pack in use.

Not above using it on an icy patch in the winter either.......

Table salt it is, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophyslayer View Post
    I use the big bags of table salt from Costco If I recall they are 25kg and under $10.00
    X2, last bag I bought was around $5

Yeah Costco
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Saveon foods has salt in the bulk section..

Costco table salt. We usually pour the salt into 1 litre plastic bottles for travel with us when we spike out from base camp. Enough to get the job done till we get back to base. No soggy boxes
    HH

Chuck the boxes and double or triple in Ziploc freezer bags for when in the pack. Or the plastic bottle as mentioned above.

Some taxidermists warn against table salt for light capes like goat or dall sheep - possible yellow stain from iodized table salt.

Bulk feed salt is cheap and wont stain, and is a little bit finer. Big bag will last a long time if you keep it dry.

Have hard of the warnings against iodized salt, but never knew the reason, just assumed it reacted negetively with the tanning chemicals. The yellow staining makes sense though, but on light hides, I'm sure blood could be just as big of a culprit....