Thread: Sitka Optifade gear and camo pattern???

Question Sitka Optifade gear and camo pattern???

Any downside besides the price? Anything else that performs as well but is cheaper? No, not wool everything like grandpa wore...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sitka Optifade gear and camo pattern???

Kuiu or Sitka.
    I think camo mostly helps if your trying to get real close.
    Wind/scent/movement control is a a far bigger concern.
    That being said I was a big fan of Sitka but kuiu has more and more of my attention.

Kuiu uses Dermizak which is pretty good from my testing. Sitka uses 2 layer goretex. I only use 3 layer goretex in arcteryx and patagonia jackets. If you want a hunting specific jacket, I would get the cheaper Kuiu. If you want a all around rain jacket, get a patagonia/arcteryx (many other companies) in 3 layer proshell goretex.

One of the big reasons I like these "technical" camo brands, is that they are specifically designed for hunting in rough weather. Makes for very comfortable hunting.

Another brand that I really like is Firstlite. It is merino but it isn't your grandpa's heavy wool. Very good stuff and no complaints whatsoever.

Good info. Keep it coming. Thanks.

I have been rolling in sitka for half dozen years now and really like it. I didnt/dont care for their base layer and run merino wool for that now but they have merino base layers in their lineup now too. The way the fabric stretches is what I like best. I find the optifade camo has a cool look to it. It doesnt look "black" from a distance like most other camo. I spray my gear with a water repellant and find that makes it fairly water resistant. When you are sweating it does a good job of wicking your sweat away. Many people have called sitka junk but it works great for me. As far as price I have bought my gear slowly over time, spreading out the cost. I have 2 complete sets now.