Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start tuning?

Re: Where to start tuning?

That's just some people. I don't know anyone (personally) who does this though. Everyone I know takes the time to sort the problem out.
    I am fortunate enough to have a seperate bow for 3D and hunting so I tune my hunting bow exclusively for broadhead flight. My broadhead will not hit with my feild points but the bow is tuned for the tightest groups with the broadheads I shoot. I think the biggest reason people tune the broadheads to the same POI as the feild points is that they only have one bow and want to be able to practice and go to 3D's etc and know that they are hitting where they want to without changing the sight box all the time. That is not to say that I don't think you can't get great flight out of your BHeads by tuning them to your feild points....I just think its a little better to tune the bow for B-heads specifically if you have the luxury of more than one bow.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Hunter4life has a good question. If your bow is tuned so field points fly 100% and you move your nock point or rest to tune your broadheads, won't that then throw your field point adjustments out? Just curious.

Onesock...i believe you compromise a little on each to get them to "meet in the middle" so to speak. When my broadheads are dialed in to their best groups my feild point groups suffer slightly and vice versa so, as stated above that is why I tune only my broadheads on my hunting bow. Honestly though if you ask anyone who knows me they will tell you i am a little particular about this stuff....some might even call it obsessive compulsive and the differences in group size I'm talking about....most people wouldn't give it a second thought...I'm just a little crazy at times

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I have 3 bows, whats yer point, or better yet field point?

Heres the thing, screw a broadhead on your arrow, now your putting wings on the front of the arrow and it will steer it.
    Put on the broadhead, stand it on a piece of glass or mirror and spin the arrow, if the broadhead spins true, no woople right at the insert, thats good, if it moves you can try it on another arrow, if not it will need a little tweaking, make two v bocks and attach them to a board so that one block is just infront of the fletch and the other is just behind the insert, give yourself a little room for different lenth broadheads, stand a block at the tip of the broadhead, slowly spin the arrow if its true put a mark on the block dead center of the tip
    Now do your other arrows, you can tell which way the broadhead is out, put slight pressure to move it to center { be careful not to much pressure at once, you might have to do this a couple of times, CAREFUL broadheads are sharp, DAN!! use a small block of wood } Aluminium arrows you can just heat it slightly and give it a tweak, or turn it some.
    Now all broadheads are true, shoot your field points, group of 3 or 4, then shoot a group of your broadheads, micro ajust your rest and nocking point till the groups come together, move only one thing at a time, IE arrow rest for right to left then nock for uo/down. I do this from about 30 meters.
    a little stiffer arrow spine usually tunes with broadheads a little better.
    I try to line up my blades with the fletch, in my books it seems to help.
    I shoot Rocky Ironheads, 100 g and American Broadheads Sonic out to 50 meters right with my field points.
    Remember if your broadheads are longer than your field points that will change the FOC and it could be harder to tune both to shoot in the same group.
    Again this takes time cause you want to shoot the best arrows you can, and you owe it to the game you hunt. A true flying arrow gets better penatration.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Bow Walker Guest

If anyone is interested there is a good DVD out about tuning your compound. Here's the link. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=421370

George Ryals IV (4th) is known far and wide (in the States) as "Griv".........he's an archery guru - one of many.

Another is Earl Rugland a.k.a. Le Earl. His DVD's are really good. I've got 2 of them. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...light=earl+dvd

They are worth the money.