Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back from Africa, 2013

Re: Back from Africa, 2013

It definitely did happen. Great pics.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

This trip was the best so far. I hunted hard for the entire trip. We got the last animal at noon on the last day.

The 2 hardest of the animals were the Mountain Reedbuck and a Black Wildebeest. The mountains there are steep and rocky. The trouble with the rocks is that most are covered in grass that grows between them. All you can see is grass. You step where you think there is good footing and down you go. I thought I was going to break an ankle. It was awful. It took 5 attempts to get the Mountain Reedbuck.

The Black Wildebeest was something else. We located an old one away from the herd. I got a shot from 250 yards. I didn't hit him right and he rejoined the herd. We chased them for 3 solid days and couldn't get another shot. 50 animals and a hundred eyes made it very hard. We gave them a rest for a few days and came back. We couldn't find him in the herd. We were bummed. But my tracker went to the last place we saw him and started looking. He was able to find him. He had died a couple of days before. The only thing I was able to recover was the head, We lost the meat and cape. I was very upset. I've never lost an animal that we put that much effort into.

The rest took some time as well. July is supposed to be the dry season. It rained while I was there. It was the wetest "Dry Season" in years. All the grass was still up making it hard to see. The waterholes were still full. It's good for the animals but hard on the hunters.

If anyone is interested in hunting Africa PM me. My outfitter will most likely be in Abbotsford in February. We are planning a get together and a little show for those that are interested.
    Last edited by 1/2 slam; 09-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

The Kudu and Springbok are amongst the finest I have seen.
    Beautiful trophies!

Lately I have been dreaming of Africa and my bow!! Beautiful country and animals.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Thanks for your post. Congratulations on some very fine specimens.

Great looking animals. Nice hunt! Thanks for posting them up man. Makes me want to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Great pictures and storey - Thks for Sharing ! RJ

Great stuff! Sorry to hear about the Wildebeast it always sucks when that happens. At least you were able to recover what was left. Africa calls my name but primarily I want a nice big Leopard... something about the cats that gets me. Thanks for sharing the pics!
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by swamper View Post
    It definitely did happen. Great pics.
    Haha. Very very nice. Love the Kudu.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

thank you for sharing! Its a hunt I will do some day.