Page 68 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best "As they lay" Pics!

Re: Your best "As they lay" Pics!

my biggest bull 2011
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 doris lake moose trip 013 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	1400 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	7156  

Quote Originally Posted by RE1960 View Post
    my biggest bull 2011
    What a Beaut!!!

Very light colour on the horns of all your bucks Dana. I am surprised by that, thy must sprend most of their time in deciduous forests.

Wow, this thread jumps back up and shows some amazing pictures of some great animals!!

This is what HBC is all about!

Thanks to all for posting!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Very light colour on the horns of all your bucks Dana. I am surprised by that, thy must sprend most of their time in deciduous forests.
    Alder is one of the favorite species to rub. Birch and aspen get rubbed hard too. All three species are comon in this neck of the woods.

Always amazes me how some bucks, like the 1st can grow the antlers so "high" rather then wide.
    Exactly like the buck I had to watch at 650m I talked about on the other thread, love it![
    And the other one is still a type I want to take, but still looking, with those more palmed style tines!QUOTE=dana;2046465]

[/QUOTE]

Dana, wheres all the 200 inchers?!?

Okay, I have held off on this one, waiting for the "Funnies" thread to one day show up.
    And since my buddies get a kick out of this one, I thought I would share the:
    "what possibly could ever go wrong with a head shot"!!??

So, last day of hunt and about an hour before dark, I am thinking about which direction as to go to get back to the truck, pack up and drive home.
    I had been sitting up against a tree for about a 1/2 hour.
    At some point I recall needing to scratch my back on the tree, so I did.
    Anyways, time to get up, so I am standing up, I hear a thump, thump right behind me.
    Look over and there is a buck stotting away from me, but then stops suddenly to look back at me.
    (guess my back scratching created curiosity, and he was close by??).
    Anyways, he is standing at a bad angle away from me, looking over his shoulder, but I know he isn't going to give me anything better, and is going to go any second, with ever so little a room to hit between his hind leg and front shoulder,
    so, I go for it.
    He drops! straight down, and that's it, or so I thought!?
    A few seconds go by, and nothing moving, so I place the rifle down, kneel down to get the knife out of the backpack, and then suddenly, I hear thump, thump, thump!!???
    Off he goes, and no snow on the ground to track, with little time left before dark.
    He heads downhill, and I can see that 50 yards in front of him is a deep thicket of small evergreens, and I know there is
    sections upon section of them for hunderds of yards after that.
    I raise the gun, get the sights on him, and everytime I am about to take a shot, another tree gets between me and him.
    Finally, as he is reaching these thickets, and probably to never be seen again, all I am left with is his head.
    Everything else is obscured thru the brush he is running thru.
    So, you can see where I am going, cant you!?
    I get leveled on his head, and he's at full run (not really stotting?), and now probably 70 yards away from me, running downhill from my left to right.
    I set the cross hairs, all is good, and squeeze, and he was just about gone thru the evergreens, but as soon as I did it, I knew I had screwed up.
    Saw a puff of smoke! from his head area.
    But to my surprise, antler still on!
    It got his attention however, and he quickly turned to his right, giving me one last chance.
    I fired right behind the shoulder, he stopped instantly, raised up on his hind legs, twisted over, and came down to the ground.
    As soon as his head hit the ground, I watched as the one antler did multiple spins thru the air, flying 10 ft up, and then coming back down, to hit the ground only a foot away.
    All I can say is, I am glad he was a 4pt on both sides!
    With all the snap decision making, and him catching me totally off guard, thinking he was down for good, I never even considered the rifle being set for 2.5-3" high @100.
    Regardless, even at the distance and speed he was moving, I took a good poke at it you could say.
    Merely inches from it being a "perfect shot"!
    So close, yet so far!
    Okay, have a laugh!, something this site could use from time to time.