Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any deer rutting activity?

Any deer rutting activity?

I haven’t been able to get out in the last week, talking to people that have though it’s starting to sound like a lot of people are starting to see bucks and does together. Have you seen any rutting activity in deer yet, if so what region? Everything I heard of has been both whities and Mule Deer in region 8.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any deer rutting activity?

We started seeing a few bucks trailing does a few weeks ago in region 3. Ended up taking a great 4x4 with 25 inch inside spread on October 19th. It's neck was very swollen and just a bit of rutting buck stink. Been at this for 40 years and this was by far the earliest rutter I've found. sorry no idea how to load a pic.
    Last edited by bullish; 10-29-2023 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bullish View Post
    We started seeing a few bucks trailing does a few weeks ago in region 3. Ended up taking a great 4x4 with 25 inch inside spread on October 19th. It's neck was very swollen and just a bit of rutting buck stink. Been at this for 40 years and this was by far the earliest rutter I've found. sorry no idea how to load a pic.
    Congrats man! Make a thread about thehunt and your harvest, and PM me, I'll give ya my email address, and then I can upload for you....

To answer the OPs question, I haven't seen much rut activity yet, although in R5 I was finding rubs after the first week of Oct..

Have seen lots of rubs up north. I tried rattling for the first time yesterday, but no takers. Next weekends snow should get them out in daylight and hopefully more responsive.

We’ve seen a couple of fresh rubs here in 8-15.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

My buck was a bit stinky, and he was cruising around at 2pm.

Shot a nice 4 pt white tail yesterday, he was pretty stinky but was with a smaller buck and what I think was a doe.

Definitely pre rut behavior up north with the cold snap. Saw a big ol mule deer buck with about 20 does collected yesterday. Then today hunting saw about 11 whitetails , passed up some medium bucks and almost got a shot at a trophy buck. Also saw 8 moose with 6 in 1 Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    We’ve seen a couple of fresh rubs here in 8-15.
    Is there much snow up there yet? My whitetail spot is in 8-9. My biggest obstacle with the rut is snow levels. Makes getting there tough and last year I hiked from the main fsr for the rut in November and my cams showed that the 2.5ft of snow in October had pushed everything out and they rutted somewhere else.
    Last edited by ekul246; 10-29-2023 at 05:34 PM.

Very little snow in 8-9