Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camo??? Mil surplus vs Hunting vs no camo

Re: Camo??? Mil surplus vs Hunting vs no camo

Back in the day my first 35 yrs or so the "uniform" for waterfowl was a Pioneer canvas "Bone Dry' with a "indian" sweater under it and Black hip boots and watch cap. Big Game was jeans or wool surplus pants, a red flannel shirt and red plaid wool Macinaw in the cold. We always seemed to manage to tagged out and took many limits of ducks and geese. Technique is more important than camo pattern. Some places they make you cover your camo with high vis vests or even coveralls and they still take game. I do see the advantage for bow hunting and waterfowl tho.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I know that ungulates see in white and black but I have also read (several reputable places) that sheep are not colour-blind. Maybe this holds true for goats and pronghorns too.

I have had a lot of luck with dirty carhart pants (from work) and a stanny. For goat hunting, it blends right into the rocks. I have recently picked up a bit more camo, mainly because I don't want to trash all my backcountry ski gear while sitting on sharp rocks. But one thing I have read in several books written by well known authors, is that if you do wear camo, don't wear a suit. You should break it up into different patterns or it will just look like a blob.

Another option is to buy some high quality stuff that has many uses. A green or grey arcteryx goretex can be used for just about anything. A grey ice breaker merino longsleeve - the same.

I have to agree with most, I only now really worry about camo when I'm bowhunting or waterfowling "newest obsession". When rifle hunting, I could care less as long as its a neutral coulour. Most of the clothes I now wear when rifle hunting bears, deer, elk, or goat are designed and made for backpackers, not hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    Interestingly enough I have shot more game while wearing blue jeans, tan or green shirt,,upwind in the open,,go figure
    same here.
    camo is way over-rated, and more intended to catch the hunter than the prey, much like fishing lures.
    I've got more deer getting off work in the midday and hitting the bush.
    more important is stealth, staying quiet and moving very slowly.
    imo, the biggest joke is the scentlock shit.
    and a awesome and nice as Sitka gear is, no way in hell would I spend that much on it, it is WAYYYY over-priced.

get what fits your budget first and foremost.
    and if that's your faded shirt and blue jeans, so be it.

Actually ungulates are not colour blind.They don`t have our range though of the spectrum.They do see UV.I don`t think any of this matters,so long as you are sneaky and watch the wind.I wear jeans and what ever jacket I need that day...red plaid,jean jacket ect.I do pretty good.If it`s warm and quiet....wear it.Spend your money on optics and a good rifle.Camo is a fashion thing for sure.Oh,please don`t get all face painted either,that`s just ridiculous.Wear a mask if need be.
    Last edited by sawmill; 07-24-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

[QUOTE=sawmill;1358906]Actually ungulates are not colour blind.They don`t have our range though of the spectrum.They do see UV.I don`t think any of this matters,so long as you are sneaky and watch the wind.I wear jeans and what ever jacket I need that day...red plaid,jean jacket ect.I do pretty good.If it`s warm and quiet....wear it.Spend your money on optics and a good rifle.Camo is a fashion thing for sure.Oh,please don`t get all face painted either,that`s just ridiculous.Wear a mask if need be.[/QUOTE]

another great point.
    that's my must-have piece.
    I have light mesh ones for warmer weather and thinsulate ones for colder weather and thick, heavy ones for frostbite days.
    skin colour will give you away before any clothing does.

another one that makes me chuckle, is a hunter all decked-out in his fancy camo, head to toe, then he's walking around carrying his stainless steel rifle.

I've never had an animal "see" me - and I wear a bright yellow and orange patrol jacket most of the time (think cops on bicycles). I have had an animal "hear" me countless time because that damn jacket is noisy.

But then I hunt some areas where other hunters are either stupid or inconsiderate.

If I was the stalking type I go for quiet and range of movement (along with dry and warm) over camo any day of the week.

As others have said, go slow, watch the wind, wear greens, browns, natural colors, and above all the material no matter what U ware needs to be quiet. When brush brushes up against your coat, trousers etc., U want no noise.
    That's more important than any camo, most of the camo stuff sold is garbage. It is noisy, when U sweat the moisture can not get through the material so U end up getting cold. Wear old fashion wool or garments that breath.

If I was the stalking type I go for quiet and range of movement (along with dry and warm) over camo any day of the week.
    Hell yeah... One year I forgot to take my wool pants on a hunting trip so I only had my polar fleece "camp pants". It was so damned quiet and comfortable that I never went back to the heavy wool. Over the years I have been really surprised at how weather proof they are. It is really difficult to wet them out. Now I would only wear the wool if I needed to sit by a camp fire. Buy what will keep you warm and comfortable over what is being marketed to hunters.
    Last edited by brian; 07-25-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: sense no make me

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    same here.
    camo is way over-rated, and more intended to catch the hunter than the prey, much like fishing lures.
    I've got more deer getting off work in the midday and hitting the bush.
    more important is stealth, staying quiet and moving very slowly.
    imo, the biggest joke is the scentlock shit.
    and a awesome and nice as Sitka gear is, no way in hell would I spend that much on it, it is WAYYYY over-priced.

get what fits your budget first and foremost.
    and if that's your faded shirt and blue jeans, so be it.
    I love the guys that are camo head to toe, yet never get out of the bright red F350...lol