Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Core Challange

Core Challange

Hello. I know this has been covered a hundred times already but I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight on the CORE exam. I am comfortable with the material in book and I not looking for answers or anything. I always seem to get a case of the nerves when it comes to tests. Also if anyone knows a good instructor around victoria that offers that CORE challenge it would be extremely appreciated. Thanks everyone.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Core Challange

Challenge the test if you will but taking the course is a good idea. You will learn much more than what is in the book.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

I'm a CORE examiner here on the coast, people who challenge almost always have trouble with bird identification, other then that know how to read the regs, firearm safety, big game identification, ethics and you should be good to go.

Remember that you cannot have the book, but do need the synopsis. There are lots of answers to the questions in the synopsis. Get familiar with the synopsis before writing the test.

Also a Core Examiner.

James

Be familiar with ACTS and PROVE as well as various firearm actions.

Quote Originally Posted by 22lr View Post
    Hello. I know this has been covered a hundred times already but I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight on the CORE exam. I am comfortable with the material in book and I not looking for answers or anything. I always seem to get a case of the nerves when it comes to tests. Also if anyone knows a good instructor around victoria that offers that CORE challenge it would be extremely appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    A week ago I challenged the test and passed. I had the most trouble with the migratory bird questions (ie: questions about the distinctions of feet for a specific subspecies of duck) as well as the questions which have multiple correct answers, but you have to choose the best "general" answer. For a lot of the questions, if you think about them too literally/technically, the "proper" answer is sometimes different than the answer you know they are looking for. IMHO the tests really need to be tossed out and re-written from scratch. I was surprised to only get 6 wrong, as I felt "on the fence" with 10-15 of them in addition to the bird identification where often I had no idea and simply guessed. I remember seeing a question about firearm storage and wondering if they were looking for the "best practice" answer or what is required by law. The examiner agreed that the questions/choices poorly chosen and sloppily written.

As far as preparation is concerned, I had the book for years. I read it front to back about 8 years ago, again 6 months ago and in the 3 days before the exam I scanned through it for a few hours here and there, and studying parts I was less familiar with, such as bird and identification, archery and muzzle loading firearms. I think as long as you have read the book once or twice and the went over parts you are unfamiliar a few more times, in conjunction with familiarizing yourself with the synopsis (ie: the "it is unlawful" section and how to read the schedules) you will pass for sure.

For the nerves, just remember to take it slow. Read every question and option thoroughly. Don't get flustered by the poorly written questions. If you're a technical/detail-oriented thinker like me it will drive you mad if you let it. Best answer, breath, move on to the next question. Pretend any nerves are a pebble in your shoe. Unlike in your hiking boot, you can put it on the back burner and ignore it for quite some time. Drive safe and save the panic attack for when you arrive safely back at home with your sheet that says you passed.

Then it is time to jump through the next array of hoops! You get to mail or drive in your "confirmation" that you passed your test to BC Wildlife, who will then provide "certification" that you passed the test. Once you have that certification, you can mail in an application or drive to a ServiceBC location to obtain a Hunter Number. After all that, finally you can go and get a hunting license. I had to schedule a day off work next week so I can drive to Maple Ridge during government hours--they take applications by mail but not fax--and get it done to make sure I have the license by September. It would be nice if this could all be done in one step through the same organization or government branch, or at least by fax. You'd think they would be more environmentally friendly so I'm not burning a tank of gas driving my truck all over the lower mainland. Maybe the whole process is designed as a tolerance test to make any "borderline" minds snap before they are out prowling around the hills with a rifle ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Then it is time to jump through the next array of hoops! You get to mail or drive in your "confirmation" that you passed your test to BC Wildlife, who will then provide "certification" that you passed the test. Once you have that certification, you can mail in an application or drive to a ServiceBC location to obtain a Hunter Number. After all that, finally you can go and get a hunting license. I had to schedule a day off work next week so I can drive to Maple Ridge during government hours--they take applications by mail but not fax--and get it done to make sure I have the license by September. It would be nice if this could all be done in one step through the same organization or government branch, or at least by fax. You'd think they would be more environmentally friendly so I'm not burning a tank of gas driving my truck all over the lower mainland. Maybe the whole process is designed as a tolerance test to make any "borderline" minds snap before they are out prowling around the hills with a rifle ;-P
    If you didn't leave it to the last minute you wouldn't have had to drive all over the lower mainland as you put it. The hoops are in your mind, the reality is it's very easy to get a hunters number and it's for life. Suck it up man there are 10 year olds that do it without problems. Now go and enjoy some of the best hunting in the World!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Originally Posted by caddisguy

WOW if getting your hunting license is that much trouble for you can you imagine the trouble your going to have packing up and paying for a hunting trip.........never mind the hassles when you dump a bull moose 2km off the nearest road

Throw in the towel now and save yourself all that grief

Good luck this season !
    WF
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    WOW if getting your hunting license is that much trouble for you can you imagine the trouble your going to have packing up and paying for a hunting trip.........never mind the hassles when you dump a bull moose 2km off the nearest road

Throw in the towel now and save yourself all that grief

Good luck this season !
    WF
    Fair enough, and as TPK put it, I did procrastinate for years and leave it right before the season is about to start. That said, I don't mind packing up gear, long drives, getting stuck, scratches and dings, intense physical labour, etc. I do most of this fishing every weekend. Though I'm not equipped to plug a bull moose--let alone 2km from the road--at this point. Just as I am happy to be lugging a float tube and camp gear up a mountain, I'll gladly carry out a muley through slippery terrain in the pouring rain. That stuff is necessary and part of the fun, but I don't think one can really argue that the licensing steps could be a lot more efficient (ie: use of fax machines, BCWF being able to issue hunter numbers and/or communicate with ServiceBC) Sure, 10 year olds can pass the tests--heck the questions might even be written by one--and the Hunter Number is a one-time thing and it is for life. This is probably why there is no pressure to increase the quality or efficiency of the process. It is like finding garbage in the bush. I'd rather try to pack it out so the next guy doesn't have to look at it or clean it

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Fair enough, and as TPK put it, I did procrastinate for years and leave it right before the season is about to start. That said, I don't mind packing up gear, long drives, getting stuck, scratches and dings, intense physical labour, etc. I do most of this fishing every weekend. Though I'm not equipped to plug a bull moose--let alone 2km from the road--at this point. Just as I am happy to be lugging a float tube and camp gear up a mountain, I'll gladly carry out a muley through slippery terrain in the pouring rain. That stuff is necessary and part of the fun, but I don't think one can really argue that the licensing steps could be a lot more efficient (ie: use of fax machines, BCWF being able to issue hunter numbers and/or communicate with ServiceBC) Sure, 10 year olds can pass the tests--heck the questions might even be written by one--and the Hunter Number is a one-time thing and it is for life. This is probably why there is no pressure to increase the quality or efficiency of the process. It is like finding garbage in the bush. I'd rather try to pack it out so the next guy doesn't have to look at it or clean it
    Good answer......your attitude is better then a lot of "seasoned" hunter types. Didn't realize the Core was as intense.....when they first came out they were mailed out or at least that is how l received mine back with no course required. The Pal has been upgraded over the years, don't know why the Core wasn't but then again, one is fed the other provincial. The original Pal included long guns, restricted and cross bows all in one course although restricted weren't talked about much and crossbows weren't even mentioned. Also, it used to be and may very well still be, the province recognizes the federal Pal's practical test and if you have your Pal already, you won't need to do the practical on the Core.....you may want to check to see this is still so, but when my wife took hers, she didn't have to do a practical Core as she already had her Pal.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire