Thread: Stance

Threaded View

Stance

OK, so we have quite a few folks on here that seem to be just starting out in the archery game so I thought I would start out the new section with some coaching. And where better to start than with the foundation of any good shot...your stance!

This is a quick and easy way to determine the best stance for you and your particular body.

1. Start by addressing a target with your feet shoulder width apart...much the same as you would address a golf ball when you tee off

2. without changing your stance turn your head away from the target and close your eyes

3. Draw your bow, and WITHOUT OPENING YOUR EYES, turn your head back and find your comfortable anchor position

4. Now open your eyes and look at your point of aim in relation to the target....if your looking right at the target GREAT! your set!

5. If you are not looking right at the target through your peep....maintain your upper body position keeping the hips and torso together, not moving your bow arm. Maintaining this position at full draw slide your front foot over until you are looking directly at your target through the peep and your pin.

This will be your most comfortable and strongest position of address, if you have to fight your bodies natural alignment it will cost you both accuracy and it will cause you to fatigue sooner than you should. For most people this address will result in a slightly "open" stance which is to have the front foot slightly back of the of the rear foot. This stance carries other benefits relating to shoulder and joint alignment but I will get into that in another thread.

Chris
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 01-13-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

2. Site Sponsor