Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk

Re: Let's Talk

No problem sharpening my own blades, {fixed and expandables } I use a Gatco { like a Lansky } It just takes a bit of time and practise, I can get them as sharp or sharper than factory. Why buy new [ I'm not made of money } when the blades only need touching up from going in the quiver, it's also a part of hunting, like sharpening your hunting knives,but not to cut yourself triming tomato plants.
    I use vaselene on my broadheads as it doesn't smell like oil does, and it helps seal the broadhaed in the quiver so hardly no water gets in.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    No problem sharpening my own blades, {fixed and expandables } I use a Gatco { like a Lansky } It just takes a bit of time and practise, I can get them as sharp or sharper than factory. Why buy new [ I'm not made of money } when the blades only need touching up from going in the quiver, it's also a part of hunting, like sharpening your hunting knives,but not to cut yourself triming tomato plants.
    I use vaselene on my broadheads as it doesn't smell like oil does, and it helps seal the broadhaed in the quiver so hardly no water gets in.
    I heard that Sampson!!

here's one.....

How do all you feather fletch shooters waterproof your feathers. I bought some powder stuff but haven't tried it yet, is there any other methods of waterproofing,

nick

Tip i was given by some trad shooters is to spray them with aerosol hairspray. I have never done it myself as the only feathers i shoot are for indoor fita, but the fellows who gave me the tip are very seasoned archers who know what works.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

I've heard of some archers(?) using WD-40! Don't shoot me - I'm just the messenger.

Don't worry about waterproofing your feathers. If you are shooting the proper spined shafts, even if your feathers are flat your arrows should still shoot well. Or don't hunt in the rain. Hairspray is only good if you want the deer to smell you, use scotch guard if you want to spary something on your feathers to waterproof them.

Can I quieten a takedown? I have an AIM recurve, and I wonder about hunting with it as it seems particularly noisy, but no I haven't tried string silencers. I can always keep it as a muck around bow, as I have my fancy pants compound, and in the future would like to get say a Fred Bear recurve for hunting.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Bow Walker Guest

Not being a Trad or Recurve shooter I can only suggest that you try the string silencers as soon as possible - if the noise is originating from the string that is.

I have seen recurves with string silencers as well as limb socks.

One question though, do you shoot with a quiver attached? That might be the source of your noise.

do you check for brace height each time you re string the bow? if your not shooting it to its full proper brace height a recurve can get noisy. We had a kid in our JOP program whose bow was quite noisy....we twisted up the string to get his brace height proper and it quieted right down!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Hey Sideofabarn , Three things to check . As Willy posted a lack of proper braceheight will allow the tips of your limbs to vibrate after the arrow is launched . The noisey vibration is felt and vibrating tips can be seen . Continue tuning with a few turns of your string between shots untill the limbs stop dead after the arrow leaves the bow . It should be pointed out that most recurves like a braceheight of around 7 1/2 in and too much will result in your power stroke being shortened (decreased arrow speed) .
    Improper spine will cause your arrow to strike your riser . Recurves with their generous centercut like arrows up to 10lbs heavier than the bow rating . Some Recurves have too much centercut in the riser and should be filled out as to induce the arrow to do the "archers paridox" thing and bend around the riser.
    Too light of an arrow is the main cause of bow noise and is easy to figure out . Your bow will tell you (by the amount of noise) what weight of arrow it likes .
    If required top all of the above with string silencers for a very quiet and lethal hunting setup. Good luck ....

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC