Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk

Bow Walker Guest

Talking Let's Talk

OK you old/new/wannabe archers........let's all help each other with our technical problems/questions and what-have-you.

Who wants to start?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Let's Talk

In the next few weeks i will try and post up information on a variety of subjects and I will also try and do some short video's showing how to do some basic stuff like center servings, tying on loops, and that sort of thing. If you guys have any good technical articles or the like post em up here!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

How do you sharpen broadheads? At what point do you consider the blade to be no longer worthy of use? BTW, i use replaceable blade broadheads.

h4l

I haven't been shooting a bow long enough to contribute to a thread like this , but i'm sure interested in reading this thread.Good idea bowWalker, lookin forward to this one.Thanxs.

Hunter4life...why don't you go ahead and post your question in its own thread....I'm sure you will get lots of good answers!!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter4life
    How do you sharpen broadheads? At what point do you consider the blade to be no longer worthy of use? BTW, i use replaceable blade broadheads.

h4l
    If your shooting replaceable blades I would stick with brand new blades. Don't touch them up. Your likely going to make them more dull than they are. Go with brand new blades for hunting. New blades every season or two and you should be fine unless your always taking out and putting your arrow in the quiver, then maybe watch the one head. Watch for rust etc, a light coating of oil can help with that. If the blades are rusting, toss them. If they are chipped toss them.

If your shooting fixed like Montecs, then its a different story. Then its time to play with the stone.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Bow Walker Guest

I shoot two different broadheads - Razorcaps and Slick Tricks. The Slick Tricks are replaceable blade heads and (not to contradict Kirby, but...) I have had great success in sharpening the used blades.

What I do is remove the blades from the ferrule and clamp them in a pair of needle-nose locking pliers (i don't have a lansky set up). Then I get out the wet stone and, carefully keeping the same angle as the original, I start stroking and stropping to bring the blade back to life.

This is - or can be - a bit of a lengthy process but it works for me. It should work for you if you have had any experience sharpening your hunting/skinning knives.

hope this helps you................Dan

First thing I learned when I got my first bow and even though it sounds silly to have to say it, you never know what new people to the sport will do. NEVER DRY FIRE YOUR BOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    (not to contradict Kirby, but...) I have had great success in sharpening the used blades.
    Don't get me wrong, I do it too, however if you've never sharpened before its easier to just get new blades. Your method works well, I use Vice grips to do it in the same mannor.

And to add to Oldtimers, NEVER FIRE WOOD ARROWS OUT OF A COMPOUND!!!!!

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby
    Don't get me wrong, I do it too, however if you've never sharpened before its easier to just get new blades. Your method works well, I use Vice grips to do it in the same mannor.

And to add to Oldtimers, NEVER FIRE WOOD ARROWS OUT OF A COMPOUND!!!!!

Kirby
    Excellent advice on the wood arrows from a compound Kirby. Not a question that gets asked normally, but one worth mentioning for sure.

Visegrips! For the life of me I couldn't think of the name for those "locking pliers" that I use.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 01-13-2007 at 09:48 AM.