Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PAL wait times

Re: PAL wait times

I phoned on day 45, lady said, and I quote "Ok, I just approved it, you'll see it in a week".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanw View Post
    So I phoned back to day since my 90 days have been up. since they have had my app. I was on hold for 20 minutes,
    Then the lady said your approved u should see in a week to 2 weeks. Thank god!!!! I was getting discouraged.
    Glad u got it man

Thank u very much!

Sent my renewal info one month ahead of my birthdate and still have not received my PAL. Phoned the RCMP in Ottawa and they had all the excuses about being flooded with applications and there is a four month delay. I explained to them in a very nice voice this is not fair and I am possessing firearms illegally and cannot purchase ammunition or firearms. They have taken the $80 off my Visa and have given me absolutely no service. They said my application is sitting in B.C. awaiting approval. They gave me the number and extension to phone 18007314000 ex 9530. There has to be some way of putting pressure on the Government. This system was supposed to be easier and is turning into a total joke.

Dis the restricted course first week of May. Got the card on Monday July 15th, 10 days after expiration of my PAL.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I just got mine this past Monday. Near 4 months. But as with all the other claims before mine. Nothing moved till the phone rang. I got a lady in New Brunswick that told me she was taking the overflow from the Surrey office. With the ending of the free long gun renewal, many people renewed early to save $60. I told her I paid my $80 3 months ago and would like my goods. 7 days later, that's what I got.

So as with the run on passports a few years back, there's going to be the same glut of renewals on PAL's in 5 more years.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I just got off the phone with them. It's been over 2 months since they received my application, I was told to call back in 2 weeks to check the status.
    Hunting season is creeping up too fast!!

Sent mine in first week of January, had all the interviews and sent off to Bc by mid-march and still yet to receive, so I am going to hit 8 months soon. May call in tommorow. Last time I called they had me on hold for a long time to transfer to bc office, got voicemail and I left a message but no call back. Do not really feel like sitting on the phone for another 45 minutes.

Seems with these guys the "squeaky wheel" really get some grease. If you've the time, tell them tale. You may get good results.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Here are some tips for decreasing wait times for PAL/RPAL from High Calibre Service Corp. ~

"PAL & RPAL Tips To Speed Up Your Application
    • It is possible to shorten the time typically required for PAL approval. Even if you are not in a hurry, you should monitor your application. Waits of 4 and 5 months have been reported.
    • Once you have mailed in your PAL application (either first time or renewal), you can log into the CFC (Canadian Firearms Centre) website to check your application status.
    • It will usually not appear online for about two weeks after being received by the CFC.
    • One way to shorten this period is to send your application via registered mail (with the required reciept) so that you know when it is delivered to the CFC in Miramichi. Following receival by CFC (and before it appears online), you can phone the CFC to confirm delivery. It usually appears online the next day.
    • If you call the CFC line (1-800-731-4000), as you work your way through the options, you are advised that you should wait 45 days before making any inquiries. Don't pay attention to that if you want to move your application along.
    • There is another part of the message that says that there may be a delay if some info is missing, but "be assured you will be contacted by CFC staff". This is completely untrue. They will not contact you and ask for the missing info. They will send you a letter telling you to call in or your application will be cancelled; it won't tell you what info they require. That will add two weeks to your wait, because that is how long it will take them to get the letter issued.
    • If you are a first time applicant and face a 28 day waiting period, this does not mean that you need to wait 28 days before making any inquiries. Processing can occur during the 28 day period, so that on day 28 final approval can be granted.
    • The 28 day waiting period starts from the date the application is received by the CFC, not the date it appears online. (Staff at CFC may advise it is the online date, but this information is wrong.) The 28 day wait provision is statutory- it is specified in the Regulations to the Firearms Act. The time starts from the date the application is made, and that is the date that it is received by the CFC (not the date mailed). This is the practice the CFC follows.
    • If you are renewing a PAL or upgrading from a POL, there is no 28 day waiting period.
    • Once it is online, the application is in the “processing” stage, which means it is sitting there until someone at CFC reviews the application, looking for missing information. When that phase is complete, it is classified as “in progress” which means it is in a queue for someone to contact the applicant and references.
    • If any information is missing, your application gets put in another queue and sits until someone mails you a standard letter that indicates you must contact the CFC by a certain date or your application with be dropped. The process of sending this letter out can take 10 days plus another 4 or 5 for it to be delivered if you live in the West.
    • If you haven’t been contacted by CFC after a week or so in the processing stage, give them a call and inquire if there are any deficiencies or missing information. If there is a missed question, you can provide that missing information to them over the phone. They may then offer to transfer you to have an interview conducted on the spot. Again, you need to ignore the message that tells you not to check on the status of your application until 3 days have elapsed.
    • Once your phone interview is done, ask them for your file number and then have your references call in (toll free at 1-800-731-4000) with that file number to do their interviews.
    • After all the information is confirmed, and the interviews are complete, the CFC sends the application to the appropriate provincial CFO for approval.

• If you live in Alberta, you can call them immediately (same toll free number as CFC), and inquire about the status. There is a good chance they will approve it over the phone. (Alberta CFO does not take calls on Wednesdays. That is processing day, so you plan around that if you can.]
      • For Ontario residents: You can send in your application before you get your stamped CFSC results back from the Ontario CFO, and get the 28 day waiting period started earlier than if you wait and attach the results to the application. Questions 20(a) and (b) each have a box to check in that say that the exam results are enclosed, so you would just leave that blank. It is probably also worthwhile to include a note to say that exam results will follow. The 28 day clock starts once the application is received by CFC. If you wait until you get your ‘stamped’ safety course report(s) back, you have added that to your waiting period.

• Other Info:

• Send in an original signed application, not a photocopy.

• Use Form CAFC979 for a renewal of a PAL or POL.

• Use Form CAFC 921 for a new PAL or if your PAL has expired

• Form 921 requires exam results and two references which form 979 does not require, so make sure you renew with form 979 well before your PAL expires"