Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: PAL wait times

Re: PAL wait times

ugh that is so bad. My buddy's took literally 44 days to his door. Not fair lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mainland hunter View Post
    I'm at 10 months for my renewal. Pretty frustrated.
    Phone them. If you are RPAL and didn't send your club info they will just sit on it and wait or you to call.

I've called 6 times, they've told me to expect up to a year

Quote Originally Posted by mainland hunter View Post
    I've called 6 times, they've told me to expect up to a year
    Pal or rpal? That's ridiculous

Mainland, I had a long wait for my PAL as well.

I suggest that you make a habit of recording the date of your calls and what you were told. Then prepare a fax detailing your efforts and why the delay has caused you hardship; for example, having to pass on an LEH hunt for which you drew a tag, or having to rely on friends to come butcher animals if you have a farm. These examples are specific to my case.
    During your phone contacts confirm that "data capture" has occurred (the application is complete) and that your file has been assigned to an examiner in your province (I was asked whether I wanted my application assigned to an examiner!).
    Of note, the BCCFO is funded by the federal government. My fax to the BCCFO went no where but sending the same fax to the supervisor in NB finally got results. In addition, there is no recourse under the Firearms Act to speed up the process: you can not apply to court to have your application processed but you can challenge whether an examiners decision to refuse your application was reasonable.
    Basically stay courteous and precise - keep emotion out of it. Do not conflate a right with a privilege - your PAL is a privilege in Canada as opposed to a constitutional right in the US. Patience is key particularly if your application has flags that may complicate its adjudication. If you can show you have acted reasonably and have a record of your contacts with the CFO you are least in a position to show that they have been sitting on their hands. Delay likely has no bearing on an application to review an examiner's decision in court excepting when hardship can be shown.
    Hang in there!
    All the best,
    VanIsleCam

Sent my renewal for my pal online and recieved it within 12 days...much quicker to renew online as they get there money and the info they need right away! For everybodys information and beliveve it or not it is not good to call them too many times as this will just get their back up and will not want to help you in the future! Once you have made an account with the Canadian Firearms Centre a person can check the status of their pal at anytime.

There is no consistency to the wait times seen as fast as 2 months and also up to a year. When I phoned in about my PAL I asked the lady about this and her response was I have no idea why wait times are all over the place for those with no infractions. Only guess she had was there is no order and they are worked on basically random.

Quote Originally Posted by Beartracker View Post
    Sent my renewal for my pal online and recieved it within 12 days...much quicker to renew online as they get there money and the info they need right away! For everybodys information and beliveve it or not it is not good to call them too many times as this will just get their back up and will not want to help you in the future! Once you have made an account with the Canadian Firearms Centre a person can check the status of their pal at anytime.
    Hey beartracker can you post some links to the site you used? Can you do it to get your pal for the first time or renewals only?

edit: nervmind, found it all

Quote Originally Posted by pukakoe View Post
    Phone them. If you are RPAL and didn't send your club info they will just sit on it and wait or you to call.
    I didn't see where they were asking for this on the form..?
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mine was finally issued on Friday. Hoping to see it this week. So that would be 47 days to issued online, and I'm expecting a Thursday delivery which would be 53 days to my door. Not bad. I called about once per week after it appeared online. I got many conflicting stories when I called though. One lady told me they had trouble contacting one of my references and that was the reason for the wait. Then I asked my references and they both said nobody had contacted them. Then a week later I call and the guy said they don't contact references for non-restricted.