Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draw with Back Tension

Re: Draw with Back Tension

Hey Grant , your judgement that the TBBC , United Bowhunters of BC and the BCAA place no emphasis on bow accuracy is just that "Your judgement"and is totaly wrong . . As a point of interest the TBBC Chs /Rondevous has wonderful trophys for shooting excellence as well as emphasing the spirit of Roundevous .
    Again making judgements from a few membership comments is not recommended.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    Hey Grant , your judgement that the TBBC , United Bowhunters of BC and the BCAA place no emphasis on bow accuracy is just that "Your judgement"and is totaly wrong . . As a point of interest the TBBC Chs /Rondevous has wonderful trophys for shooting excellence as well as emphasing the spirit of Roundevous .
    Again making judgements from a few membership comments is not recommended.
    Actually it was the President of the TBBC and the comments made in person were NOT flattering on the organization.

Since the OP of the thread has been to the TBBC championship you would think he would have been exposed to the best Trad shooters in BC and they would have been able to given him a good start towards shooting well.

Excuse me, Grant, we attended the event not to improve accuracy but to enjoy the gathering. Simply meeting all these wonderful people and shooting at the 3D targets made us a wonderful trip, and we had a blast. I think I can shoot well when I want to...wait for me to be retired and shoot the cr@p out of the 3D target in my backyard.
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

Also Grant......we are traditional and don't have a recurve/unaided class and don't teach string walking.
    Pluck yew, boys

Traditional Bowhunters of BC President
    Nanaimo Fish and Game Club
    United Bowhunters of BC
    BCWF

Hey Grant , obvious that you have a thing against the Trad shooters of BC . All of us have just met Bill and Alex and you expect us to turn these two inside out in a matter of weeks . Hell the Olympics are years away give us a few months at least .
    You have the earned skills in your venue don`t expect that everyone wants the same , most of us want to do well but not at the expence of enjoyment .
    Years ago when just starting archery I shot in several Field events and remember two things , I did OK but noticed that and there was very little laughter on the course , 3-D`s were more enjoyable to me and taught me enough to be a very sucessful bowhunter and have a trophy case that includes a Cdn Nat Gold and Silver Medal . I only point this out to counter your "Must Have" perfect form is not a must but helpful .
    You refer to the "WE "Trad Archers of BC , are you a member of the TBBC , United Bowhunter of BC or the BCAA ?
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 06-08-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Grant-could you give us a run down on your list of animals taken with your "traditional" bow please? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Grant-could you give us a run down on your list of animals taken with your "traditional" bow please? Thanks
    Took a nice little 4-point at 8yds from a natural blind down in Washington fall before last, it was on the property I was renting and I had them well patterned. That was with my 55# Shakespear Mawamba which it's a little shorter then I like to shoot but works well from a blind.

I've been deployed with the Navy every season for the 5 years previous to that and then last year as well so no big game hunting those years. Chase the rabbits in the early spring if I'm home though, lots of fun shots to make on them. Usually take one my selfbows for that as the shots are so close that accuracy doesn't really matter.

Actually everything I've killed with a bow has been under 15yds so maybe you guys are right, you really don't have to be that accurate to kill things. But I've also helped butcher a few deer with healed injuries caused by broadheads so clearly not everyone is sticking to their effective range. I've also seen enough people make really poor hits at 3D when the target was NOT a challenging presentation.
    Now that I'm apartment dwelling I'm giving-up on big game until I have a house with a garage again. Can't say it really bothers me too much as I am not that into killing, just like the meat it produces and I can get venison when I want it.

I had the opportunity to shoot what I would call the "perfect" 3D down in Washington fall before last. Scoring was as follows:
    10=10
    8=8
    5=-10
    You could choose to shoot or not, you could also choose to move up or back a peg for half or double points (on the good hits, still -10 for the bad ones). Real wake-up call for a lot of people, not many of the "Trad" guys posted scores and those which did were lucky to break even. It wasn't a tough course and the close pegs were VERY close.

Then again I'm GOOD at target stuff, but I'm a crap hunter
    But I shoot all my bows with the same form, the shot is the shot. I'm also VERY cautious about which shots I'm willing to take on animals, probably too much.

-Grant

Hey Grant , that makes two questions in a row that you did not answer . I take that you MISSED them . (pun intended) . LOL
    You slam other bowhunters then brag how good of an archer you are . Your all Hat and no Cattle....
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 06-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Actually the OP was exposed to the some of the best traditional BOWHUNTERS in BC and not a bunch of target archers. Big difference between target archers and bowhunters. Thank God! This 3-D thing is a game for bowhunters but target archers live for this.

I find most 3-D shoots have the trad pins way too far back for my skill level. I like the rules that you can move up and take 1/2 scores and scoring a -10 for shots out of the 10 and 8 rings! I'd also like to implement a -10 penalty for actually taking shots that at positioned at very low percentage angles - a note attached to a tree near the target would identify the "trap" targets! If its supposed to be practice for hunting I think we should set the courses up to represent real hunting situations as much as possible. I think sometimes in order to make the course challenging for the really good shots we inadvertently give new bowhunters the wrong message. This is not to suggest that setting the course with lots of difficulty wrong headed in itself - love the kneeling, stretched, uphill/downhill, through the trees tightly etc.

The last few shoots I've been on I've just ignored the pins on those shots and moved up or to the side giving myself a challenging but "ethical" shot to take... no I don't enter my scores for the prizes. I find most 3-D shoots have the trad pins way too far back for my skill level so am not competitive anyway!

All that being said... shooting 3-D courses is good practice but it isn't really like hunting live game at the end of the day.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."