Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decoy paint!

Re: Decoy paint!

i know it's cheap to buy new ones but day one i see the paint coming off again. now if i can make cheap decoys look good with paint then i'm laughing. i think i'll try to sand them a bit first. then apply the colour.

If you have access to compressed air try one of those little sandblasters from Princess Auto. I used one of their bigger sandblasters on 80 psi and fine blasting media to clean up some plastic chairs the wife wanted painted and it worked awesome. I used the Krylon Fusion paint and after 1.5 years of use they still look new. The sandblaster really cleaned the surface even though it was kind of pebbly and let the paint really stick.
    Kim

Like Ian said, for about $50 cdn you can get a dozen Greenhead Gear hot buys decoys delivered to your door. A good deal and personally my choice over a repaint.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...831&hasJS=true

I bought a set of the full size and they cost me about $55usd shipped to Blaine. The Hot Buys decoys are supposed to be good value, check out the product reviews on the page. Amoung the comments were a couple stating the paint is good.
    Dano
    Buddi doing what she does best!

If you must repaint, clean the living kajeevers out of them, hit them with acetone or lacquer thinner and then prime with kylon fusion, followed by a krylon matte paint with a days drying inbetween and then use craft paints or whatever, but hold no expectations of longevity, and as carrylites have release agents within the plastic, hold lower expectations of them.

The method I've posted above seems to be the curret best practice, but at the end of the day it's just time with most birds.

You may need to consider burlapping some herters if you need a tough long term durable decoy.

Very best,

Ian

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll order one of those slotted bags and give that a try.

Instead of sandpaper, what i use is Scotchbrite* pads for roughing-up the surface as it doesn't remove a lot of material and doesn't plug-up. You could also probably use-it between coats like i use-it for stock finishing.-matti