Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Big Game Contest 2013=WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Re: HBC Big Game Contest 2013

Species: elk
    Date of Kill: sept 24th 2013
    Region: 8
    Weapon used: 7mm-08
    Category Entered: firearm
    Photo:
    Story or link to story:
    as elk season began there was lots of sign and lots of elk around, but the elk really weren't too responsive, they were over cautious coming into calls and willing to ditch their cows and take off at first sign of danger. around the 20th of september the weather was due to change and the frost was supposed to set in, so my dad and i took a week off work each and packed up to hunt hard every day. The first day sept 23rd we got into some elk in a couple of different spots but no legal bulls were around and the weather was still rather mild. Sept 24th we woke up to a heavy frost and it was significantly colder than previous days. this was a good sign. first light we were in a spot we knew there was a legal bull due to pre season scouting. walking through the trees we got a response, my dad backed away calling as he went, and i crept towards the call eyes peeled. their calling stopped so i posted up and listened silently for a good half hour but nothing. i headed over to were they had called from and fresh sign was there, but so was a couple of coyotes darting through the trees. so around 10 we headed to a different spot, began hiking a ridge as my dad was 100yards down the bank calling. A loud bugle screamed from up hill from me, as i looked i saw roughly 25 elk rising from their beds. i immediately saw two bulls, one was a smaller 6, and the other i counted on his left antler a tine sticking up, one to the left, one to the right and one sticking down all from one crown on the top of his antler, with those and two eye guards i knew he was more than a 6. i took a good rest laying on a rock, as he was facing directly towards me i put one right in the front of his neck at 285 yards. he dropped instanty. as the other bull was standing broadside 150 yards away now i realized he was a 6x7, i tried getting my dad to take him to for a double header but he couldnt quite see him from his position and with the two of us already with a ton of work on our hands, figured we'd leave him for someone else. Awesome experience, was my first elk. crazy how much you learn everytime you go out!

Species: Whitetail Deer
    Region: 3
    Date of kill: Oct 27 2013
    Weapon used: Savage 30-06🔫
    Category entered: Firearm

Went to check out a new area in region 3. I got there late fri night and drove up to top of mountain. I slept in back of truck. I woke up in am to a beautiful sunny day. I went for a drive, started seeing deer right away. Within 45 min of driving I saw 26 Muley deer. They were all doe except for one which was a small spiker. I let him walk away. I drove down the mountain and saw a bull moose with Palm on one side and 3 spikes on other.
    I saw so many deer that morning I figured I'd go back up to the top on mountain and crashed there for the night. The weather was getting nasty , started to rain. Poured for along time, then I could not hear
    the rain on the canopy no more. The rain turned to snow . We'll the problem was I was in a two wheel drive truck and I did have chains. 4:30 in the am I decided to get out of there. It was snowing so hard,it was a freakin blizzard, I could not see the road. Whiteout . By then there 6 inches of snow. There were some very steep hills I was worried about , but I made it down without chains. I went down lower to evade the snow . I drove around checking out new areas. It was really foggy and rainy. It was about 2:00 pm Sunday , so I decided to head home . On my way out, I spotted this deer about 50 yrds in the bush, I stopped the truck jumped out ran back to see if this whitetail was still there. Well sure enough he was , bang flop. Yes . I went up to deer and make sure it was dead, then back to truck to cancel tag. Took off jacket put it in the truck to go gut this deer. I was just ready to stick a knife in it , when a truck pulled up (first vehicle I've seen all morning ) well it was a Conservation Officer ,
    He came up to where I was with the deer and asked me to see my hunting licence . (I'm sure he thought that I hadn't canceled my tag yet) I told him that it was in the truck, so down the truck we go to get license. He was happy to see the cancelled tag and told me I was the only one that got a deer that he's had checked all day.
    Can't wait till hunting season starts!

Species: Mule Deer
    Date of Kill:November 22, 2013
    Region:5
    Weapon used: 7 mm
    Category Entered:firearm
    Story or link: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ight=2013+buck

link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ight=2013+buck
    Brian011

Species: Mule deer
    Date of Kill: Nov 9,2013
    Weapon used: Remington 30/06
    Category Entered: Rifle
    Photo:

Story or link to story:

Took the week off for our annual November mule deer hunt. Heading back to a familiar spot we've had success before we knew there would be lots of bucks around this time of the year. First morning dad and I spot this buck at the top of a cut block with a single doe. We confirm was legal 4 pt. I asked dad if he wants to take him. He said no still early in the trip. I had another look through my binos and decided he was a solid buck. And I would be happy to take him with dad at my side. I ranged him at 392 yrds. Was great trip with lots of memories.

Species: Moose
    Date of Kill: Sept 17,2013
    Region: 7B
    Weapon used: Remington 7mm08
    Category Entered: Firearm

Photo:

Story or link to story:

This years Moose hunt had us going up a few weeks earlier than usual because of my work schedule. I didn't know how the moose would respond to calling. Moose sightings were a little low compared to years past but the sign was there we just had to keep at it. My brother was hunting a cut block and had a bull respond to him in the morning and seen the racked bull just inside the bush. He couldn't get a better visual, the bull faded back into the timber and went silent. He decided to check out another spot that evening and I went to try for the bull he'd seen. I worked my way up to the corner of the block where the bull was in the morning. I found a nice vantage point and settled in the evening. Much to my surprise after only being there for 20 mins. I heard a faint grunt. And it was still early afternoon. I thought maybe I was mistaken. I kept quite listening, yep. SOB. confirmed grunt, maybe 200 yards in the timber. Over the course of the next 2.5 hours I was calling to him back and forth. sometimes he would go quite for 20 min or so. I intended to sound like a small aggressive bull. Not cow calling at all. I figured it was pre rut. And that the bulls would be kind of establishing whos who in the area.
    it wasn't until the sun went down that I figured he was finally slowly making his way out to the cut block. Finally antler tips! Once I seen it should be a good bull. I got pretty shaky. The bull step out. I put up my binos. Bull is maybe 100 yards. No way I can count points because I am shaking to bad. So I put my head down staring at my feet for a min or two trying to calm my nerves. Meanwhile the bull is getting closer and closer. I never called at all when he stepped out because I knew he would pinpoint me right away. I look up. 60 yrds tops! count 1,2,3. double check. Yup. A few 140 AB's and it was all over. Went back to camp on cloud 9. Got the boys and made the trek back in to recover the bull. Cant wait till next year!

Species:Mule deer
    Date of Kill: nov 5
    Region:8
    Weapon used:browning x bolt .270
    Category Entered:Firearm

Photo:
    Story or link to story:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...mule-deer-Naaa
    Last edited by .300WSMImpact!; 12-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Species: Mule deer
    Date of Kill: Nov 10, 2013
    Weapon used: Win M70 325wsm
    Category Entered: Firearm
    Photo:

Story or link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-My-2013-Mulie
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Species: Whitetail
    Date of Kill: Dec 14, 2013
    Region: 4
    Weapon used: Hoyt Protec, Easton XX78 arrows, Magnus Stinger broadheads
    Category Entered: Bow

Story: Many hours in a stand watching does come and go. The weather had warmed up a bit from the -25 we had earlier in the week. I was holding out for a buck but would take one of the does on the next day if no bucks showed. About 100 yards behind my stand I heard the fence squeak. I figured it was likely another hunter wandering around the area as I did not expect a deer to hit the fence. A couple minutes later I could hear something approaching, slowly turned my head to see this guy coming in. One of the biggest bucks I've seen this year so I'll take it. Nice end to a somewhat slow season.
    Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being wrong!! -- Jimmy Buffet

Species: Elk
    Date of Kill: Sep 16, 2013
    Weapon used: Mossberg 30-06, 180 gr. Hornady Handloads

The story... http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...scapades/page3

The pic...

"It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Species: Whitetail Buck
    Date of Kill: Sep 18, 2013
    Weapon used: Mossberg 30-06, 180 gr. Hornady Handloads

The story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...scapades/page4

The pic

"It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main