Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Big Game Contest 2013=WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Re: HBC Big Game Contest 2013

species:blacktail
    date of kill:nov 12 2013
    Region: 1
    weapon used: rem. 7600 30/06
    category: firearm
    story: after missing a chance at a beauty on the weekend, this one graciously offered itself (three times) to me on Tuesday morning.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Species: Mule Deer
    Date of Kill: November 5, 2013
    Region: 8
    Weapon used: Tikka T3 300WSM
    Category Entered:Firearm

Photo:

Story or link to story:
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...My-2013/page11
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Species: Moose
    Date of Kill: November 10, 2013
    Weapon used: Tikka T3 300WSM
    Category Entered:Firearm

Photo:

Link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...My-2013/page12
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

species: mule deer
    Date of kill: oct 27/2013
    region: 8
    weapon used: remington 700, 30-06
    category used: firearm
    photo:

story: i had been watching this area since beginning of season and passed up on quite a few smaller 4 points and forkers.i had seen this 4x3 muley before but only had the bow but he was always just out of range. I hiked in on the mornin of oct 27 before daylight and got settled in and was sittin there no longer than 2 hours and this guy came walking over the hill at about 220 yards chasing 6 does. One shot from the 30-06 sent him runnin about 40 yards and dropped. ps i dont know how to get the pics bigger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mail-1.jpeg   mail.jpeg   mail-1.jpeg   mail-1.jpeg  
    Last edited by one-shot; 11-21-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: pic too small

Species:Whitetail buck
    Date of Kill:November 17, 2013
    Weapon used: Remington .243
    Category Entered: Youth
    Photo:
    Story or link to story:
    Late summer early season i had been scouting for a goodwhitetail in a heavily pressured area. (that includes dirt bikers, hunters,hikers, and offroaders...) Even though the deer where pressured I knew the areahad good genetics and the deer would just be bunking in the timber. Being veryfamiliar with the area because of previous years hunting there, i figured ijust needed to put my time in to pull out a 'cranker'. So by the first week of Septemberi had a couple spots nailed with does hitting my cam like clockwork... Withthis i knew it was just a matter of time..

It took a couple months but one day hiking down through aold growth patch i jumped a ‘regular’ 3 does but this time accompanied with agagger!! He popped up and took off with the does leaving me standing theredumbstruck with bow in hand!! Up until this weekend i had hunted that area inhopes of seeing the same big guy but with no such luck. Now my mom was startingto get mad because both my dad and myself have not shot a deer yet and shewanted venison!! Meat sometimes is more important than bone, so i had set mystandards to at least a basket buck/ or bow season doe!

Just yesterday i had decided it would be a good idea tohead out, do my regular hike, and burp every ten feet try to interest the bigguy or his ‘kid’. When i had arrived to my trail head a bit latter than i wouldhave liked i was pleasantly surprised to hear probably at least 5 dirt bikerstearing up my hunting grounds. Being public land i had just decided to moveonto a different area about 4 clicks away where i have also hunted before andsee if i can find any fresh sign. It had only took me about 2 hours to find agreat patch of thick timber with a natural bluff/meadow on one side and surroundedby old growth timber all around... Doing some investigating, i had came acrosstons of fresh tracks and a big rub line. Following the rub line i had spotted 3does bedded in the timber with only a little buck.. They eventually caught mywind and spooked, so i carried on down this rubline, and spotted 2 more doeswithout a buck! Being mid November this had me a bit confused.. Soo..

I had decided to back out and get back there tomorrow.(today)This am my plan was to hike up to that same bluff/meadow, sit, and try arattling sequence with a bit of grunts, and that is what i did.
    Now It was about 10 minutes into my calling sequence andi had just ended my second rattling session, i was getting itchy to start myway down the rub line to another setup. Just as i peered up to see if the coastwas clear to gather my stuff, a buck was standing not 40 yards from me. His vitalshidden behind a huge fir with only head and neck showing, i raised my rifle slowlyand waited for a shot, within seconds he began to trot forward; i let out amew, and let fly. He kicked back abruptly giving me a good idea he was hit good!!Gave him about ten minutes and then put my dog on the track found him about 50yards later, and im one happy guy!! He is a beautiful little 4x3 that i will Europeanmount, and first deer ever that i rattled in and harvested!! Now with some meatin the freezer, i will be chasing some bone come bow season!! Good luck to everyone! P.S. With my dads knees being bad, i had a friend that lives close by help with the drag. Thanks to my friend i got him out in one piece, so i appreciate his help!! KTK also offered but we had him already in the truck! Thanks for the offer though Nolan! Great having a bunch of good hunting partners/ and friends willing to help at a moements notice!!

Species: Mule deer
    Date of Kill: Oct 8
    Region: 3
    Weapon used: Win model 94- 32 special
    Category Entered: Firearm
    Story or link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...d-chance-blues!

Score: 167
    Typical or Nontypical: typ
    Who did the scoring: Me

Species: Bear
    Date of Kill: June 1st
    Weapon used: Sako 85 .338 Federal

Photo:

Story or link to story: Not a huge story to this guy. Typical bear hunting here on the Island, drive around until you spot one and then try to stalk in close enough for a shot. Close enough for this guy was about 150 yards.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Species: Vancouver Island Blacktail Deer
    Date of Kill: Nov 11th
    Weapon used: Sako 85 .338 Federal

Photo:

Story or link to story: Well I started off on my hike expecting to head to an area about 1.5kms away but as luck would have it approximately 150 yards from the road I saw a nice grey face peeking at me through the bushes. He was good enough for my first tag of the year so with one shot from my .338 federal he was on the ground.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

where i'm supposed to "live the adventure"

Species: Blacktail deer
    Date of Kill: November 21, 2013
    Weapon used: Sako AV .280 rem
    Category Entered: firearm
    Story or link to story:http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...land-Blacktail
    photo:

Species: Wolf
    Date of Kill: November 16, 2013
    Region: 7
    Weapon used: Savage 25-06
    Category Entered: firearm

I found a rancher with some wolf issues, and she was kind enough to let the Dawg run free in her yard, as it were.

First one down, a young female, and more to come, we hope!

We have at least 3 more ranchers tee'd up for the winter, so we hope to get out and whack some more doggies!

...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...