Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Big Game Contest 2013=WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Re: HBC Big Game Contest 2013

species: stone sheep
    date of kill: August 1
    region: 6-20
    weapon used:30-06
    category: youth and firearm
    story: flew into coldfish lake july 31 hiked right to where we where able to start hunting got up the next day stated hiking some more saw a sheep skylined thought we would see if we where able to get into position just as practice we new it wasn't a legal ram as we crested the hill i spoted another group of rams one about 5 years of age others where small and as i looked down the hill i saw 2 more rams this time i could see they had big horns i told my dad who also had a tag that they where probably legal after sitting and watching for 2 hours on our stomachs we finally decided they where both legal and would take the next shot opportunite ended up we got both of the rams down before 11:30 opening morning mine was 10 and a half years old and dads was 12 and a half it was a two day pack out strait walking one day and a half day of walking the next very fun trip great father son memorys and i am now hooked on the mountains cant wait to do some more!!

species: moose
    date: oct 22 2013
    reg: 6
    weapon: amish machine gun-rem 7600 30/06
    category: firearm
    story: saw this moose from 400 yds, snuck along the shore to within 100 yds, let um have it and 5hrs later we were back at the road

FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Species: caribou
    date: August 18/2013
    region: 6
    weapon: tikka T3 30-06
    Category: rifle
    photo:
    link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...turned+caribou

big thanks for the contest and to the sponsors!! Good luck everyone!

Great entries guys, keep them coming!

Once again, thanks to the prize donators. As usual we have some of our regulars being very generous!

I'd like to do a bit of groveling here for more donations if anyone has anything to add to the contest. We can always use prizes, the more the merrier!

As well- If you contacted me abotu a prize and you dont' see it listed here, it means I've been negligent and forgot it. I've had a very busy year and I'm not as on top of things as I would like. So PM me again....thanks!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Heres my entry for the season...
    Species: Mountain Goat
    Date of Kill: 2013-Oct-17
    Region: 4
    Weapon used: Rifle (Model 7 7SAUM)
    Category Entered: Firearm
    Photo: See Below

Story: Yesterday I made the decision to try and get out and fill my goat tag. Since I had no one who could make it for the hunt, I decided to go solo and push hard to see what I could get done. I left the house at 6AM and made the drive out to my zone. A pair of waders helped me cross the river in the pre-dawn light. I hiked for about 35 minutes before spotting my first billy. He was in the trees and disappeared before I got a good look at him. His positioning wasnt right for a stalk, and I didnt know how big he was so decided to leave him and keep hiking.

A bunch of kilometers and a few hours later, I stopped to do some glassing at what I had decided would be the furthest point I'd go for the day. It was nearly 1130 when I spotted 3 goats way up high in the snow on a ridge. Through the scope, the billy looked good, and I remember thinking how promenent his glands were behind his horns. I unloaded all the 'unneccessary' gear from my pack and started the trek upwards.
    At 350 yards, I saw the goat on the skyline and verified it was the Billy. It was a high uphill angle and I'd only have time for one shot, so I decided I'd leave him and try and get closer. I didnt want to risk having him get hit and make it to the other side before I could anchor him. The wind swirled every direction which had me second guessing my choice!
    I kept going upwards and thought I had busted the goats off the ridge. I caught sight of the back of one goat at 100 yards or so, but could not verify which one it was. While I was finding a position to get settled in, the billy peeked out from over a rock ledge at 85 yards. I pulled my rifle up, but with the steep angle I couldnt get behind my scope. I still had my pack on which made things very tough to get steady. He was looking right at me which made movement near impossible. I unclipped my pack and kept the one shoulder strap looped around my left arm so my pack wouldnt slide down the hill. The billy turned and the Nanny/kid popped over the ledge and looked at me.
    A short few seconds later the Billy appeared to the left of the ledge in a nice little saddle. I quickly got on him and shot him rbetween the shoulders. He stood there motionless as I reloaded, sending another his way. This caused him to turn and the nanny and kid started to scramble. I shot a third time quickly, folding him. He started to tumble down towards me as I reloaded. For a brief moment, I thought about trying to stop him from tumbling down the mountain as he headed down the hill, but that thought was quickly replaced by common sense when I realized how fast he was going by the time he got to me. He passed me at 5 yards or so and continued down towards a big cliff I had hiked around to get to the group. You guessed it...he bailed right off that cliff with tremendous speed.
    By the time I got down to him, I had already come to the conclusion that my goat had been busted up and in horrible condition after his fall. Very ironic as I had passed opportunities to kill goats in 'bad' spots where they would tumble or fall in the past. I was pleasantly surprised that he hadnt busted off anything and other than being dirty with some torn skin and a torn ear, he was in great shape. All the bones in his face were broken and he had nearly bit his tongue off and both of his lips were peeled back a few inches.
    The long pack back to the truck by myself was grueling. I was home by 10PM though and I had my goat!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...enay-Goat-Hunt

species:blacktail deer
    date: nov 5 2013
    region: 1
    weapon: rem 7600 30/06
    category: firearm
    story: Got out of jail early on tuesday hurried home and got the gear together, half an hour later this guy chased a doe across the trail in front of me and then stopped for a look.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Species: Mule Deer 4x4
    Date of Kill: Oct. 8/13
    Region: 8
    Weapon used: Winchester 70 30-06
    Rough Score : 139 5/8 Typical
    Story or link to story: Was on the way out of an elk hunt and spotted him on an adjacent ridge from our trail, 108 yard shot and he was down. Not the biggest bodied deer but a good trophy, and tastes great so far.

Species: Mountain Goat
    Date of Kill: November 8
    Region: 6
    Weapon used: Browning X-Bolt 325wsm 200 grain accubond
    Story or link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...13-2014/page15
    Photo:

Posting this for my son, I will be taking 300H&H's advise though and signing him up for his own membership this weekend hopefully.

Species: Whitetail Doe
    Date of Kill: November 11, 2013
    Region: 8-23
    Weapon used: Savage Axis .243 Stainless
    Category Entered: Youth

Not much of a story, but I'm smiling anyway. Took Joshua and my dad out for a late day hunt today, headed out to Heckman Creek FSR first, not much sign there, so we headed out to South Fork Road. If any of you decide to head out that way, maybe bring a chainsaw, I didn't have one and the road is blocked by a few trees at the 10K marker, cutting off a LOT of good White Tail hunting. Anyway, we cruised around there a while, spooked a couple, but they were too quick. The day was winding down, so we headed out and took the road that swings left at the 3K marker, not sure of the name. We barely made it past the 6K mark when my dad called out, "DEER!" I brought the truck to a stop ad we all piled out, I headed up the bank first, with Joshua just a few steps behind me, the first doe, a little one, started to book it, but as luck should have it there was a nice sized looking one still standing there checking us out. Joshua got up beside me, brought his .243 to bear and BANG! Down she went! Went up to check her out, he took her a little high, through the lung and out the shoulder just below the spine. She was done, but needed a mercy finisher in the head.

Here's the proud boy with his prize.

And one of him and his Pop.

And finally, one with me.

Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. (Job 14:1 KJV)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ery+black+bear
    Species: Black Bear
    Date of Kill: may 18 2013
    Region: 4
    Weapon used: Hoyt Maxxis
    Category Entered: Bow