Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Big Game Contest 2013=WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Re: HBC Big Game Contest 2013

The knife for the contest is finished slim handle clip point design olive canvas micarta handle
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Species: Black Bear
    Date of Kill: May 11th/2013
    Region: 8-05
    Weapon used: Dad's Remington Model 700 30-06
    Category Entered: Youth
    Photo:
    Story or link to story: First day hunt of the Spring up to Princeton for a few hours, was driving down the main road up in Sunday Summit area when at about 300 yards comes this bear at us. Dad stops the truck as the bear starts walking down the slope to the left into the timber. Dad and myself get out and spot him down the slope in thick timber about 200+ yards away, so we cut back onto a bench and start waiting. Not even 10 minutes later, this guy comes walking towards us, not even knowing that we are there. He turns broadside at about 100 yards, so I take a shot and hit him a little low but in the area of the heart/lung. He starts to run uphill as I cycle another round into the chamber. He stops running uphill as I hit him again but this time dead in the boiler room. Legs get wobbly and down he goes. I guess our Spring bear season was cut short! (Story edited)

Thanks for the contest!
    Last edited by ItsGrouseTalk; 07-24-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Story edited

That's a hellova bear, but your story is lacking...We need more details on how it played out! Exercise those English class creative writing skills!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

ItsGrouseTalk

Awesome bear and great picture........congrats
    Thanks for sharing !
    WF

Only one entry this year so far............going to be a happy youth hunter !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Species: Mule deer
    Date of Kill: Sept 3 -2013
    Region: 3.37
    Weapon used: Browning A-bolt in 7-08

Blonde Tornado's third deer. Not bad for 14
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Species: Mule deer
    Date of Kill: Sept 3 -2013
    Region: 3.37
    Weapon used: Tikka T3 in 7-08

Buckwheats last youth season animal.

Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Oct 7th and only 3 entries in the youth category......there has to be more animals down than this ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Species: moose
    Date of Kill: oct 8 2013
    Region: 5-02a
    Weapon used: browning xbolt 30/06
    Category Entered: firearm
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Story or link to story:
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

Species:Black bear
    Date of Kill: Sept, 17 2013
    Region: 8
    Weapon used: 50 pound Diamond oulaw compound bow
    Photo:

Story or link to story:
    So i had decided to bring out a school friend for a little bear hunt. Our hunt started at about 5 pm when we got up into the stand. After about sitting for 1 hour and a half we had heard some noise from down below in a thick alder patch. So i got set up and waited, a couple minutes later we could see the silhouette of a bear through the alder, that bear worked its way into a shooting lane but it just looked like a sow, with its short face and legs so i waited...Sure enough the cubs had worked there way up the hill 5 mins later and the trio moved on along the slope.

Once they had cleared the area i had decided that i would be good to head it in early to see if we could get one in the orchard. So i crawled down from the stand, not 15 yards away from it i hear a 'holy crap' from my friend, so i turned around fast to see a bear making its way towards me from the orchard, this bear made eye contact and was showing signs of a predatory attack, i let out a couple 'hey bear!' and it would not stop, having my friend in the stand still with the bear spray and me having only my bow in hand i had no other choice than to draw my bow.

I continued straight towards me in until about 15-20 yards before i had let my arrow fly. My arrow flew straight but the bear had ended up jumping the string and it entered in the eye. On impact he buckled to the ground but then just popped back up and started to run down the steep slope into the thickest brush imaginable. We back out knowing it would be best to give him time and also try to get some back up to go in. So I gave a good hunting friend a call and sure enough he was on his way out with some firepower and great head lamps to try and recover my animal.

We hit the last bloodspot and ended up finding the bear about 50-70 yards away, which was surprising since he had lost so much blood during his 'death run'. If it Wasn't for a good hunting friend for setting me up with the landowner i would not have got this bear, and he also was a huge help in the recovery, so thanks Nolan, could not have asked for a better hunting partner!! I would also like to say that this bear is smaller but im still very happy and proud that i could harvest him, and let me tell ya they do look way bigger when the are coming at you!! Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed!
    Last edited by Bc Deer Hunter; 11-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Species: Mule Deer
    Date of Kill: September 1st 2013
    Region: 3
    Weapon used: 7mm-08 Remington Model Seven
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:

Story or link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...season+success