Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunt Backpack Set-up

Sheep Hunt Backpack Set-up

Curious what everyone considers the latest, greatest and lightest gear out there for a 10-12 day backpack hunt.
    Backpack:
    Tent:
    Sleeping Bag:
    Stove:
    Binoculars:
    Hope everyone has a safe and successful hunting season this year and always.
    Thanks.
    you will never shoot a big one if you keep shooting the lil' ones

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Sheep Hunt Backpack Set-up

[QUOTE=Broomed Ram;1322794]Curious what everyone considers the latest, greatest and lightest gear out there for a 10-12 day backpack hunt.

Not sure what the latest and greatest is but this is what I use,There are more hard core experienced Sheep hunters or hunters period on this site that can be a great source of info.

Backpack:- I have 2 MR Nice frames,one with a 6500bag and one with a 4500wolf,they certainly not the lightest,but comfortable and well built,you may need a Nice frame and a 7500bag,there are other and lighter options out there,KUIU(lighter) ,Eberlestock,Barneys

Tent: - I use a MH Skyledge 2.1, 2 man 3 season tent with a waterproof footprint,about 5lbs,it has 2 doors for easy in and out,not the best tent but not the worst either,you can also just use the footprint and fly to cut the weight in half if needed.

Sleeping Bag: I use a Valandre shocking blue,3lbs and extremely warm,packs very small,expensive but one of the best bags made.

Stove:I use a Jetboil sol,has worked just fine in -10 for me

Binoculars: you should get a 10x42,I use an older Leica 10x42 and are great,but the best binocular for the money right now is the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 I was blown away at their clarity, I had a good look at the Vortex Viper HD 10x42 great glass for the price also.....just still a little leary of that company.....when it comes to Binoculars I'm a little biased for the euro glass,other binos u might look at for a fair price,Minox HG,Meopta B1 HD or Cabelas Euro HD which is the same,Kahles, and of course Leica & Swarovski good but pricey !

WF

You should have asked whats the best caliber rifle for sheep hunting also...........just to keep things interesting
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 04-28-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

MR 6500
    MSR hubba hubba
    Montbell super spiral
    Jetboil
    zeiss conquest hd

When i was looking for new binoculars i couldn't afford to buy swarovskis and the other expensive brands so i bought s pair of scorpions. So far i love them. They are relatively inexpensive and very clear. Good investment if you ask me. Www.scorpionoptics.ca

Quote Originally Posted by drivintrucks_shootinbucks View Post
    When i was looking for new binoculars i couldn't afford to buy swarovskis and the other expensive brands so i bought s pair of scorpions. So far i love them. They are relatively inexpensive and very clear. Good investment if you ask me. Www.scorpionoptics.ca
    When I started sheep hunting I couldn't afford high end gear either. London Drugs in the optic section for a pair of Nikon 10x50 bino's $150 a used 15-60x60 Bausch & Lomb Discover (heavy SOB) $150 at Guncraft, and a Freighter frame and moose bag pack from Surplus Herbies $99. My heavy old Sako walnut stocked 7mm Rem mag and I was off to the races. Was 19 years old and running around MU 3-17 looking for a full curl Rocky. 3rd day of my hunt I got one. Get what you can afford and get out there. Just because you can't drop $2000 for binoculars and the same for a spotter and ultra-light weight rifle doesn't mean you can't get a ram. Upgrade as you go along. That's what I did. Good hunting. <Ramshot

Pack kuiu icon 7000
    bag monte bell super spiral
    stove pocket rocket
    tent big anges uls 2 or 3
    bino 10x42 Swarovski el range finders
    ziess spotter
    kuiu camo
    meidel from Germany glockners boots
    havalon knife
    Therms rest mat yellow light weight

The only thing I can really coment on as for light weight is a pack, ordered a kifaru DT1 last summer, it is like night and day compared to my other mid level packs Iv owned. Had to sell my wolf rug to aford it, but is well with the trade off. I find that 50lb in any of my other packs, feels like 30-40lb in my new one. I found that with a good pack, a couple extra pounds isent to noticeable. But that's just me, happy huntin!

Pack MR 6500 - awesome, heavy duty, comfortable, but heavy
    Tent Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 (for 2 guys) extremely light but I have seen pics of one torn up pretty good in a storm
    Sleeping Bag North Face Nova -18 waterproof down bag. Went waterproof cause if down gets wet youll be unhappy but guys who sweat a lot say they dont breath very well but works great for me.
    Stove MSR Reactor super fast and efficient, stove top and small fuel bottle fit inside pot, heat is well contained; you can put your hand right beside it when on and its not hot so I am comfortable using inside the vestibule in nasty weather. Only good for boiling water
    Binoculars Celstron 10x50s ($400 range binoculars) good for the price but could definitely use an upgrade here
    Spotting Scope not on your list but you should have one. Leica Apovid 75. Phenomenal optics but not looking forward to packing it in this year!
    JP
    Last edited by Jim Prawn; 04-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Awesome feed back, much appreciated and thanks. One more thing I neglected to ask about was a recommendation for a sturdy lightweight tripod.
    you will never shoot a big one if you keep shooting the lil' ones

This year it'll be

Backpack: Timber Ridge daypack
    Tent: friend's house
    Sleeping Bag: satin sheets
    Stove: I think it's a General Electric
    Binoculars: Not sure (gotta send mine back to be fixed so we'll see)

Yeah, me and my brother have a spot lined up for some big horns this year where we won't have to camp. We'll see what happens.

If I get a goat draw again this year, I'm cutting back on gear for the early season.

Backpack: Asolo Navigator 70 (I've had this since '05. It was a grad present from the G-Parents. Used it for my goat hunt(s) last year and held up really well)
    Tent : Integeral Tactical Sil Tarp
    Sleeping Bag: Thermarest Haven
    Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket
    Binos: see above