Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Alberta Whitetails

Re: Hunting Alberta Whitetails

Yep she's been a rough few years on the deer thats for sure!! Up north has been hit a few times in the past handful of years and the south got hammered a couple years ago now. In the western part of SK where my parents have a cabin they got SLAMMED with a ton of snow again this year. I know that a guy really notices the winterkill more than some guys think.

It can make for some long days hunting. Still some giants around though no doubt, but not the numbers that a guy would love to see.

Next year will be a year off for Alberta whitetails for me, in the hopes of chasing a big Alberta mulie in the badlands!!

hmmm been in on the Alberta Hunter host program for many years thanks to the excellent friends in Andy ..and Phil..usually its Red Deer or camp Wainwright area..never shot a cranker but decent adult bucks usually,, and a couple last moment take some meat home candidates..lol waiting for my speed goat and moose..so far whities and mulies..and FAR less $$$$$ than when the guys come out here however getting them in on 395+ caribou and such hopefully makes it still fun despite the $$$ ouch factor.. steven

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Winter came very early and stayed...I suspect breeding bucks run down from the rut suffered the highest mortality...
    Totally agree. From what we've seen, it's the mature bucks that take a beating and the little guys going into the winter nice and fat survive and so It's mostly 2 and maybe 3year olds that are around - and not many of those.
    Lik everyone says, there still is the odd one but It won't be a time to be too picky.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Well it seems that Athabasca is going to make the top of the hit list, mainly based on the fact that my buddy lives a mere hour from there. It just goes to show you what a truly great country we live in, he has not killed a single animal, does he really know what might be just around the corner??? He is severly stoked on hunting however and do I really blame him, uhhh nooo, fact of the matter is we live in an amazing place filled with opportunity to hunt a vast array of animals. BC, Alberta,Saskatchewan, Manitoba... I could go on, but fact of the matter is we as Canadians should all learn to take advantage of it. I totally agree with ya Srupp, more people should take advantage of the hunter host program, it is actually very simple and easy to follow compared to BC regs. Draws are based on priority and I wish BC would follow, suit and maybe we would all have a shot at a Rosie! I hope your odds are high Rackmastr as an alberta mulie is even higher on the hitlist than that of a whitie!

The Eastern side of Alberta has definitely taken a hit with the CWD Cull followed by Winterkill 's we have had and supplemental tags there.
    Definitely Athabasca down to Rocky Mtn House & Rimbey area should have you in decent Deer numbers to choose from still.

Thanks springer, conditions are never ideal but hunting is always an adventure, can't shoot nothing at home on the couch.

Hunting Alberta WT in the rut is a blast. I find a bad day hunting WT in Alberta is better than a good day hunting them in BC

I would buy the county maps for both lesser slave lake and the county of Athabasca. It shows you landowners and property borders. If your looking for specific spots shoot me a pm. I have hunted there for the last 7 years.

I suggest that you start on the draw system for Alberta - in particular the mule deer and moose. Apply this year and work your priorities up. If you hunt the Athabasca areas, you will see some nice muleys. Lots of private land so prepare to use a day or two just driving around and phoning to get permission
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

We've just had our longest winter in 40 years. Coyotes have been playing he!! with deer that are too weak to move.

Just saying...
    N.F.A; C.S.S.A.; NRA life member
    2015 is the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta.