Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Alberta Whitetails

Hunting Alberta Whitetails

Every year as hunters we start to plan our dream hunt for the season, our sure shot, ace in the hole, guaranteed harvest. Of course for most of us, we are only dreaming as the legendary booners are tough to find in a 7-10 day hunt. However that usually is length of time we can afford to take off in a given season without getting divorced. There are the weekend getaways and backyard hunts but we all truly look forward to that one trip each year where we imagine our monster to be. This year my 'shot' falls in November as I am due to join the ranks of many and become a father in October, for me that hunt is the Whitetail rut in Alberta.

I have acquired my WIN number and an Alberta sponsor who is an old childhood friend of mine, problem is he is new to the province and hunting. He is however just as keen as I to take the time to research and go wherever our findings take us. Thus far my findings have pointed me north but I would like to narrow it down some and appeal to the mass of knowledge that is huntingbc. I hope that in the very least this thread can be informative to others like me who hope to one day soon lays eyes and hands on a true represention of a majestic Alberta Whitetail.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Alberta Whitetails

Going to be some pretty brutal winterkill in northern and east central Alberta this year. It could be some pretty tough hunting.

I have heard that also, but sometimes they say its going to rain and it ends up being a beautiful day. There are always obstacles and nothing you plan ever ends up being perfect, I am just hoping that I can return from my trip knowing that I did everything I could to give myself the best possible chance.

Ya, there will still be deer around for sure. Just giving you a heads up that things will be way tougher than usual. Personally I'd head for that Athabasca country.

Yup I agree with previous poster.
    Winter kill could be a problem in the north central and eastern areas due to the snow this year.
    Down south here was a bit better for snow load and hopefully shouldnt be too bad.

If its a large bodied buck with a good rack then the odds are better up north
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    Yup I agree with previous poster.
    Winter kill could be a problem in the north central and eastern areas due to the snow this year.
    Down south here was a bit better for snow load and hopefully shouldnt be too bad.

If its a large bodied buck with a good rack then the odds are better up north
    X3 for me.
    Where we go north of Athabasca, we couldn't find many older deer the last year or two and the overall numbers were down significantly. They can handle cold but the heavy snows are really tough on them - they cannot drop in elevation to get out of it, the extensive logging and oil development has stripped most of the mature cover, and they can't run/hide from all the wolves. I'd be checking for agricultural land where predators are shot at, and they don't have to struggle too much for food (hay bales).
    I know that my expectations will be down this year.
    Get out and secure as much permission as possible. Look for areas that haven't been hit hard by snow.
    Good luck.
    Remember that there isn't a "Boonie" around every tree - even after a few good years.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Totally appreciate the comments from everyone, and it does sound like this years winter may pose some problems. However a challenge is always fun so my question would be how an extreme winter would affect the biggest and healthiest populations within the heard, I am sure a real bad winter could not kill every deer? Is this a good example of survival of the fittest where you might not see the volume of deer in a year like this but would still have a chance at a big buck because he is not old or weak and has survived? Either way I am not too concerned as it will be a new place and a new adventure and give me the chance at harvesting a new species that I have not yet seen. All the comments are much appreciated, I hope to post this adventure as it unfolds, got a ways to go yet but good things seem to come to those who wait.

Winter came very early and stayed...I suspect breeding bucks run down from the rut suffered the highest mortality...

Thats a good point, forgot how the rut might affect the winter kill and I totally agree, maybe in a situation like this the weak can actually be the healthiest, just caught with their pants down. With that said, how bad was the winter in comparison with your average Alberta winter?

I've heard 50% mortality in some areas.....it was a brutal winter in some areas. The snow came early, then partially melted and crusted and then the snow really piled on. Not trying to burst your bubble but it's going to be tough. This is the third brutal winter in 7 years. Herds haven't had time to bounce back from 2006 but rather got pounded again in 2010 and 2013. Some big bucks will still be killed no doubt but not a lot of them.