Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 year old smokes bull elk at 1376 yards

Re: 12 year old smokes bull elk at 1376 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    That kid put one where it counts on the second though & who knows maybe he hits the 1300 yard gong consistently 10 out of 10 shots, every time.That would give him a 99% chance of making that shot.
    Well actually we don't really know he put it where it counts. For all us viewers know, it may have been a gut shot, or even one in the hoof. We don't know if they took an hour to get there, and we don't know if it was dead when they first came up to it at all.

What we can look at is statistics.

It is simple math. Let's assume the rifle can hold 1/2 MOA out to 1378 yards (which I don't believe in the first place - the 1000 yard 10 shot record is ~ .4 MOA, and that is from a bench with a purpose built target rifle). That means the rifle will give you a group of about 7.2" at 1378 yards. Lets assume that they were off in their wind calculation by a mere .75 mph. Again, a TINY .75mph error in guaging the wind over a distance of well over a kilometer. That equates to another 8.1" of wind drift. Oh, what about an error in temperature estimation, it isn't actually 16.5 degrees, it is 15 degrees. There is another 2" of error.

So you could very easily be looking at your bullet landing 17.3" away from your point of aim. Again, keep in mind that this is IF the rifle can hold 1/2 MOA and IF the shooter is capable of that from a bipod. A 1 MOA shooter from that distance, which would still be incredible, would give a 24.6" group if no other outside factors were guessed wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I agree a very impressive shot. From what I see in the video everything looks ligit, I doubt he hit it in the hoof lol. But there is the maybe factor.

Not a long range shooter. Family brought me up "to get closer". Not really interested in it, and even if I had the money....NAW!!
    Now having said that, I have alot of respect for those that choose to take up this practice...and well, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!
    I know that it can be done effectively, and ethically (insert my ethics here).
    But this one not so much. To me, that 1376 was alot of distance to be doing the sneaky sneak. Especially when they showed some footage of what it was like to get over there.....LOTS OF COVER that looked easy enough to get around in to not make noise, and probably had good visibilty to make a closer shot.
    Anyways.....I didn't much like seeing the kid take that shot.
    I'm sure you could see the vapour trail of that bullet.......pretty fricken high arch on that baby!!!
    Last edited by whitetailsheds; 04-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    "I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

I see nothing impressive about this. These guys aren't the least bit concerned with sneaking closer, or taking part in what most of us call hunting. IMO, their sole objective I've stretching the shots out further and further for the lone purpose of besting their personal longest shot with the end result of lining their pockets. I'm curious how much video of missed shots/wounded animals ends up on the cutting room floor.

Take it up with their Canadian distributor and show sponsor, Grouse River in Kelowna. Personally I don't think all this LR stuff is ethical on big game just like BiG Boar said in post #31, too much chance of a wounding even if you do everything right. I would like to know how many wounded animals there are that didn't make the show. I have no trouble if they want to go out and shoot coyotes at 1000yds though
    Kim

I'm finding myself wondering where I can sign up and take the course wich qualifies me to be a 'judge'...looks like some guys took the same course on here.
    I loved every second of it. The kid practised and blasted the gong at home multiple times , good on him..shows he could ( and did) make the shot. Distance means SHIT..." ethics"? P a lease....first of , the word should have never been invented as not any one of us qualifies to use it against others.
    I have guided literally hundreds of people. 'Most' of them wounded and or missed shots at all flavours of game 90% of the time. And we are talking under 200 yrd shots at BIG bull moose/elk with a rest.
    I once guided a guy with a bow who shot a bull moose in the antler at 30 yrds , brisket at 20 and missed it clean at 7.....all with it styanding there broad side.
    I have a guy on my youtube channel missing a ram 5 times laying down with a rest.
    Point I am making is ANY SHOT can wound and DOES , LOTS.....7 yrds to 1500...SAME SHIT. The equipment can do it , you practice , YOU can do it.....nuff said.
    Tell me wich 'judge' here has written down what distance hunting is or IS NOT , so the rest of us can follow what YOU dictate.......pffft. " Joe Blow told me hunting stops at 500 yrds plus , we better not do that".....L M F A O !

The day someone see's or reads me 'judging' another hunter , PLEASE come kick me in the nuts real hard real fast.....

ps.....the 'judges' should go have a scoot on Youtube and watch how far military guys shoot bullets at humans.....just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    ps.....the 'judges' should go have a scoot on Youtube and watch how far military guys shoot bullets at humans.....just sayin....
    That kids going to make one hell of a sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by anglo-saxon View Post
    Good shot, but I question the ethics of this. As the guy said at 3:35, the first shot was just below the animal's belly. That could just as easily have been a wounded animal heading into the trees that they would possibly never have found. I'd be more interested in seeing how I could teach the kid to make use of the lay of the land, cover, and wind in order to get close enough to make as ethical a shot as possible.
    Exactly..I would question ANYONE's ethics at taking that long of a shot...it had to be possible to sneak in closer..a seasoned sniper maybe, but how much experience can a 12 year old have had to take into account wind, bullet drop, shooting up/down elevation etc..

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Those guys will shoot somebody else if the sniper doesn't get them and really, is there ethics in war? Plus who cares if you wound an enemy combatant? It's probably better if you do as that uses up a lot more enemy resources than outright killing them.
    Kim
    Last edited by phoenix; 04-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.