Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 year old smokes bull elk at 1376 yards

Re: 12 year old smokes bull elk at 1376 yards

This is neither ethical or neccesary.Congrats to anyone who can hit the gong at 1300yds,but to take that shot at an animal shows that they are interested in nothing but selling long range rifles at an exorbitant price,The whole thing has absolutely nothing to do with hunting. Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Ah yes... the long range "hunter". I dont think shooting at that range is hunting, sniping for sure. All the ethics aside it was a good shot. Lots of sheep hunting videos show hunters taking a second (long) shot because they miss number one. I must admit, I would like to be comfortable shooting 700 yards (I spent most of my life with an open sight 30-30) and only stepped up to scopes 7 years ago. But then again, where would I get a shot that long? I like the stalk and or calling or rattling a critter in close. To me that is hunting. But that is my definition. I did shoot a moose at a confirmed 425 yards once and I must admit there was some real satisfaction in diong it! If you want to shoot elk at 1200 yards, I would hope you pratice your ass off! That is ethical. Practice practice practice. I have seen some pretty piss poor shots and wounding under 100 yards. And yes I do agree the whole wounded animal that far away sure reduces your chances of recovering that critter. But there is no law restricting how far away one can shoot an animal... so guys are going to push that limit... However, calling long range shooting, hunting, kinda doesnt feel right to me??
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by keoke View Post
    I say past 500 yards and your not hunting anymore.
    What kind of shots are sheep hunters making, 500+ yards & a sheep is half the size of an elk. Are sheep hunters also not really hunting then?

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    What kind of shots are sheep hunters making, 500+ yards & a sheep is half the size of an elk. Are sheep hunters also not really hunting then?
    ah ha! I knew that was going to pop up!! I guess if you work in all the time and effort it takes to get into sheep country and find a sheep that fits the bill, i guess I would call a 600 yard sheep shot, hunting! ??
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    This is neither ethical or neccesary.Congrats to anyone who can hit the gong at 1300yds,but to take that shot at an animal shows that they are interested in nothing but selling long range rifles at an exorbitant price,The whole thing has absolutely nothing to do with hunting. Gunner
    X2..makes me wonder how many clips they have that didn't make it to tv because they wounded one and didn't find it.

Awesome shooting

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    You are just jealous. You know it. A 12 year old on his first Elk can do it....maybe you can too. All you need to do is drop $10,000 on one of their "systems" as they advertise, you are good to go "1000 yards out of the box". You may need to take their 2 day $2000 course in order to make it out to 1300 yards plus. *sarcasm*

Quote Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post
    All the ethics aside it was a good shot. Lots of sheep hunting videos show hunters taking a second (long) shot because they miss number one.
    It was not a good shot, it was a miss. A chance to wound and lose an animal. The second shot is 10 times easier that the first shot we all know that. We have info as to what is going on out there.

I am not saying I have never missed a shot. I have.

But what defines an ethical shot to all of us hunters, and I think you can agree, is shooting at an animal where you know with 70% certainty, you WILL put one into the vitals on either the first, second or third shot, every time!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

But what defines an ethical shot to all of us hunters, and I think you can agree, is shooting at an animal where you know with 70% certainty, you WILL put one into the vitals on either the first, second or third shot, every time!

That kid put one where it counts on the second though & who knows maybe he hits the 1300 yard gong consistently 10 out of 10 shots, every time.That would give him a 99% chance of making that shot.His farther is the only one able to make that call.
    Heres why I think it is a risky shot at that distance, the bullet took nearly 2 seconds to reach the elk. In 2 seconds, that elk could have taken a step forward & he would have hit it in the gut or ass. Was he lucky, you bet. Was it a "good shot", absolutely. Do I agree with it ,no. Was it ethical, everyone has a different ethics meter,mine is calibrated different to those guys & im happy he got his first elk.

I don`t think that "all of us hunters" would agree that wounding or missing an animal 30 times of a hundred with up to three shots is acceptable . Based on the three shot thinking the 30% chance of missing on the first shot would be increased considerably .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 04-15-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC