Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skull Work

Re: Skull Work

Hey Nog,
    how do you guys deal with the nazal cavities? I have done quite a few skulls but in a much more rudimentary fashion and usually just let the "stuff" up the nose dry out until it stops stinkin'. Also wondering why you dont boil the water, I have always just boiled for about 1-1/2 hours then scraped. I also boil with baking soda in the water, supposedly helps with whitening...?... I have never done the complete process with degreasing and whitening so mine are definitely a bit yellowish but still a good alternative to a $700 head mount! Btw, that polar bear is awesome!
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Prawn View Post
    Hey Nog,
    how do you guys deal with the nazal cavities? I have done quite a few skulls but in a much more rudimentary fashion and usually just let the "stuff" up the nose dry out until it stops stinkin'. Also wondering why you dont boil the water, I have always just boiled for about 1-1/2 hours then scraped. I also boil with baking soda in the water, supposedly helps with whitening...?... I have never done the complete process with degreasing and whitening so mine are definitely a bit yellowish but still a good alternative to a $700 head mount! Btw, that polar bear is awesome!
    JP

Boiling can cause the bones to warp, especially if the connective tissue between the bones is removed from over-cooking. Keep the water at a simmer. It will take a couple more hours to get the job done, but with more consistent results. Plus simmering for longer will help remove the tissues within the nasal cavity.

Just take a few more hours to degrease and whiten if you desire, but do each step separately. Remove tissue, degrease, then whiten. It takes me about 4 hours of actual working time over a couple of days to clean a skull, the rest is letting the pot and solutions do their job.

I use a bit of Soda Ash to help disolve the tissue and degrease, 30% Peroxide to whiten. Costs me about $10 a skull including the gas for the burner....

very cool

can you explain your cleaning process in a step by step process including any and all chemicals you use.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    -- George Washington

" A long range shot should never be taken if the range is so great that a hold on the top the shoulders will not drop a bullet into the chest cavity." Author Jack O'Conner

Cool, thx for the pics and info. Looking foreward to seeing the finished skull pics

Great thread very helpful. Thanks!

Thanks a bunch Nog! Yours look way better than my first attempt, so now I have something to improve upon next year.

Arrow Re: Skull Work

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Prawn View Post
    Hey Nog,
    how do you guys deal with the nazal cavities?
    As WB suggested, the slow simmer pretty much melts that stuff away over the course of a couple days. We then use stainless picks and forceps to get the last remaining bits out, and a blast of medium pressure water to finish it.

WISH I could get it down to what he suggested though: "takes me about 4 hours of actual working time over a couple of days to clean a skull"...
    We've got a LOT more time that that into each one, but as I said, this is very much a Learning Curve at this point. Eventually we hope to get faster / better...

Quote Originally Posted by kgs View Post
    ... can you explain your cleaning process in a step by step process including any and all chemicals you use.
    Kind of thought I'd done that

Toss skull in warm water and simmer for a day.
    Knife, spoon, picks and stiff bristle brushes to remove what ain't bone.
    Back into the simmer pot for another day - water and dish soap.
    Another pick & clean job.
    Dry for a day or so.
    Into Sudsy Ammonia (available at most grocers) for 1 to 3 days.
    Rinse well with water and scrub off any surface oil remaining.
    Dry for a day.
    Into hydrogen peroxide (35% or greater) for 1 to 3 days.
    Rinse well again.
    Let dry for several days.
    Assemble & Mount.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Sometimes even polar bears get cold in the winter....
    http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6ef6c6c7.jpg

Thumbs up Re: Skull Work

LOL!

Likely the Warmest That particular Beast has been in a Very Long Time!! In fact he is still "sweating" at that point!!!

Methinks you might have missed the KerFuffle when I was leaving this afternoon...
    That Big Ugly which put the run on me the other day was coming for a visit.
    Seems while he ain't to worried about me, Boogs put The Fear Of God into him!
    Now dealing with the rope burns...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

wow great work