Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Gets to take the Shot?

Re: Who Gets to take the Shot?

For my family its always been the new hunter or young lad that gets first opportunity. That being said usually the bow hunter gets first try after the new guy. then it comes down to who ever is confident in the shot or wants the animal and who is up to field dressing. generally who ever shoots it does the dirty work.
    2011 elite hunter 28" 70#
    100 grain Montec CS

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    If you're hunting with family or a kid, I would definitely agree with you. It should be as you state. In fact I am sure this would never even need to be discussed. However, when you're hunting with a new partner, this will be a major conflict of issue for most hunters if someone points out an animal, and the other guy whips out his gun and starts shooting.

Hunting is finding game. There are many lazy hunters out there that just don't really like to glass, or just find it boring, or hike looking at their feet. When I take off time from my work, and spend my money, I hope to come home with something, therefore I hunt hard, I glass hard. If buddy is busy resting his eyes (snoozing) or on his devices, or anything else that he can do to distract himself, then I don't feel he deserves 1 out of my 2 days to be his day.

That being said, if I have taken a better head, or plan to, I will generally pass the animal onto the other guy.
    Who shoots is already decided before the day begins, so if it's my partners turn to shoot, and I spot something, then I excpect him to shoot, and vice versa.

As for new hunting partners, again, all needs to be discussed before-hand. The surest way to destroy hunting partner relationships is to be a selfish hunter.

Of course one needs to choose their hunting partners wisely.
    Last edited by 325; 04-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Some of my best hunts have been ones where I didn't touch a trigger.....

Got no use for game hogs, heros or anyone else with a "Me First" mentality. I'll gladly eat tag soup, before I'll ever dump a critter that isn't 100% mine to shoot.

I've seen me do it..........

Make it all as fair as possible, then nobody has a bad time of it. We subscribe to "The first to see it and verbalize the sighting, gets to take it if he wants it. If he doesn't want it, then the next guy can take it."

BUT Both guys get ready for the shot. I know where my weapon is hitting, but have no idea how everyone else's gear is. f one guy shoots and doesn't drop the the beast, then the other guy is free to try to stop it if given the go ahead. Only once in a case of a possible bad retrieval did I ever need to shoot as a second, and it prevented an animal from going downhill too far. My brother also once stopped a deer for a brand new hunter with a bad case of buck fever and a poor shot before the deer hit the river.

Or mostly hunt by yourself and then you have no need to
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

Whoever spots it first gets the shot! Ups the competition a bit, keeps your wits about ya..

Quote Originally Posted by Trophyslayer View Post
    Spotter is the shooter unless other agreements have been made. I don't like eating bears so I'd let my buddy shoot it so he can deal with that Nasty meat. I usually don't hunt right beside my partners so its never really an issue we always split up it has proven to be more effective an there's no arguing about this kind of stuff
    this.
    why would anyone want to hunt with their partner on their lap?
    i can undeerstand if it's road-hunting i guess.
    in that case, i'd go spotter shoots.

[QUOTE=BCHunterFSJ;1311803]
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.
    A friend (and hunting partner) went hunting with a coworker who had to shoot first. Didn't matter if people were in front. Turned out, it didn't matter if it was in season either. There was only one hunting trip.

The new hunter or whoever wants to the most.

The challenge of the hunt is with Mother Nature, not a competition with our hunting buddy's.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Depends who I'm out with. My kids/nephews/youth always shoot first. And my Dad get's first option on deer.

If I'm out with a buddy, sometimes (bears) there is a little too much grace, "you take it" "no you, I insist" "no, you spotted it" "yeah, but we'll find another one, you take this one".

Neither of us really wants to get an arrow dirty.

[QUOTE=Gun Dog;1312205]
    Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    A friend (and hunting partner) went hunting with a coworker who had to shoot first. Didn't matter if people were in front. Turned out, it didn't matter if it was in season either. There was only one hunting trip.
    Must have been my ex bro in law.We hunted together once,him driving.We spotted a nice buck and he grabbed his rifle and bailed out with the truck in gear and rolling.I had to grab the wheel,scramble across and jump on the brakes.Worst part is,he got the buck and after helping him gut,load,hang and skin and cut and wrap I got one pack of steaks.He was off the list too.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories