Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Gets to take the Shot?

Re: Who Gets to take the Shot?

Whoever has the newest gun.

Whoever has the fastest aim...

It's all about communication right. Usually who spots shoots it or has first right of refusal. If you have a great partner and won't be an issue. If you are hunting with a wanker it will - and it's time for a new partner. I have never had any issues over the years as I have hunted with great guys. I have heard tons of horror stories though and makes you really appreciate good partners. They are worth their weight in gold and something you want to respect so you don't lose them. imho

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.

We have done a your day my day hunt also. This way it takes the pressure off.

Meat splitting should be discussed pre hunt always. Just to make sure there is no discrepancy.

Sounds about right...
    The 'where-to-go' department - it's like a rod, dog or gun: a thing to be loaned or given as a personal courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Whoever has the fastest aim...

Petty much, being that this situation is likely road "hunting". So what glory is there to be gained? Shoot it. Share it. If you can't handle that with out some pre-arranged legal agreement, your out with the wrong people or better of alone.

[QUOTE=BiG Boar;1311725]I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.

We have done a your day my day hunt also. This way it takes the pressure off.

An old hunting partner (now passed away) lived by the maxim "Shoot fast or shoot last". I eventually stopped hunting with him and others who also were believers.

Today, I believe in the "right of refusal" theory. Well stated Big Boar!

I never have liked the "whoever spots it shoots it" way of deciding who the shooter is. My partners and I always alternate who's day it is to shoot. We flip a coin for the first day. That way instead of competing with one another, we work as a team. Also, whoever has taken a particular species last, gets moved to the back of the que, so that the next guy is supported until he is successful. Of course this only applies when we are hunting together, if we split up, which we most often do, then it's naturally every man for himself.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I never have liked the "whoever spots it shoots it" way of deciding who the shooter is. My partners and I always alternate who's day it is to shoot. We flip a coin for the first day. That way instead of competing with one another, we work as a team. Also, whoever has taken a particular species last, gets moved to the back of the que, so that the next guy is supported until he is successful. Of course this only applies when we are hunting together, if we split up, which we most often do, then it's naturally every man for himself.
    If you're hunting with family or a kid, I would definitely agree with you. It should be as you state. In fact I am sure this would never even need to be discussed. However, when you're hunting with a new partner, this will be a major conflict of issue for most hunters if someone points out an animal, and the other guy whips out his gun and starts shooting.

Hunting is finding game. There are many lazy hunters out there that just don't really like to glass, or just find it boring, or hike looking at their feet. When I take off time from my work, and spend my money, I hope to come home with something, therefore I hunt hard, I glass hard. If buddy is busy resting his eyes (snoozing) or on his devices, or anything else that he can do to distract himself, then I don't feel he deserves 1 out of my 2 days to be his day.

That being said, if I have taken a better head, or plan to, I will generally pass the animal onto the other guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The other guy. If I take the shot that means I've filled a tag. If he takes the shot I get to keep hunting. I get a huge rush outta helping friends fill tags and I get to keep hunting.
    That's the way I think, I enjoy watching my buddy taking the shot just has much as me taking the shot. We split every thing 50/50 so I doent matter who shots as long as there meat hitting the ground and if it not my tag it just means more time for me to hunt
    Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do (Stick with a rifle. Let cupid shoot the arrows lol.)

whomever hasn't shot one before
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member