Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me I am not crazy for wanting to keep two pups..

Tell me I am not crazy for wanting to keep two pups..

I work,,my dogs are well fed,,they all get lots of excerse,,lots of attention,,,so why would people think keeping 4 GWP a bad idea....we seem to be getting on well here.....just cant seem to want to part with this last pup,,,the female I have decided to keep from the start,,had her spayed already,,not going to do anymore pups..finding the right homes was hard work,,but everyone has been placed in great homes,,I keep getting updates from them all.
    I am taking this last male to a field trial this weekend,,he is going in the puppy class....mom is showing in a point test,,I havent done much trialing,,and still have lots to learn.I just have a gut feeling I shouldnt let this boy go..we cant be totally nuts for wanting to keep more than one right??? and if we are,,then I cant be alone..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tell me I am not crazy for wanting to keep two pups..

I hearing you , I kept 4 pups from the last litter and it is a lot of work, but as for a team of hunting dogs they work very well together and carry all the traits that I would be after in a hunting dog passed down via the mother/dog and a lot of time and hard work.

Would I do it again? probably.

Cheers Rob

Totally insane I say
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Certifiable, crackers ,bonkers, check up from the neck up nutz, but the dogs are a good idea....
    Some of us are born into greatness, some have it thrust upon them.......I've had to scratch and claw to achieve mediocraty

Citizens own firearms, subjects don't

Right out of your ever lovin' mind, never catch me with tha many dogs around...........................................OH WAIT A MINUTE
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

lol thats great..nice to know I have company..my pups have a lot of both parnets traits,,my male is really showing through in them,,Angus has to be the best GWP I have ever had,,and that number is many..I started with GWP's in the 80's,,and I would never go back....all great memorys...cant wait for my young male pup to show me what he is made of at this trial,,though I am not asking for much,,just put nose to ground and have a look around,,he is now 8 months old,,super great on the leash,,and our field work is just starting...I need to keep training myself as well.keeping an eye out for any clinics that may come up this year....but thanks for letting me know that being nuts is quite fine..lol have a good day guys.....

I've got 5 dogs......had as many as 8 at one time. The only thing I'd suggest is that you don't kennel the pups together. Keep them separated or they'll tend to bond with each other instead of you. They'll be easier to train.

That's one reason why I never got my sheltie bred. I'd be keeping all of her dang pups.

my pups do stay together during the day,,sometimes mom is in there with them,,other days its their dad,,they do play together a lot,,but when it comes to training I always take the pup or dog away from the yard,,I have an empty 54 acre field across the road from me,,so thats where I do a lot of work,,other then leash work while out for my morning walk.we are getting to the point where I can walk three now and it not turn into a mess.....I just need to learn more about trialing,and what judges look for..... but I do have so much fun with the pack..

Your insane but there are many like you.. I have five GWP's and a Lab..