Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: join ubbc

Re: join ubbc

Quote Originally Posted by FullDraw
    2nd:If you plan on taking advantage of this so called specail privilege why would you waste your time wondering the rationale behind it? Why not get out and take advantage of it?

3rd: ubbc.ca United Bow Hunters Of British Columbia a group of dedicated bow hunters working together with goverment to keep the
    so-called specail privilege bow hunter season open for the extended bow hunting seasons that your looking to take advantage of.
    First, you should question the reason behind something, otherwise you can't explain it to people who don't know, or are going to argue against it, or if you infact agree with it...

Second it IS a special privilege to have a bow only season. I think too many bowhunters are viewing it as their right to extended seasons because they bowhunt.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Rainwater Guest

Kirby, A bow season is what it is a BOW season, it's not a black or white season, or red. Anyone can join in ,even a one armed paper hanger can shoot a xbow. Can't worry about misguided jealousies anymore, sorry! Like the old saying says "if I have to explain you probably won't get it". It still boggles my mind everytime a "bowhunter" asks why, makes a guy wonder??????

Rainwater Guest

PS Maybe a GOS is a "special season". Chicken or the egg first?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainwater
    Kirby, A bow season is what it is a BOW season, it's not a black or white season, or red. Anyone can join in ,even a one armed paper hanger can shoot a xbow.
    Maybe you missed something. A person should understand the reason BEHIND the bow season in order to educate people who don't know otherwise. IE to allow bowhunters time to hunt without rifle pressure, to offer an increase in hunting time without depleting the populations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainwater
    Can't worry about misguided jealousies anymore, sorry! Like the old saying says "if I have to explain you probably won't get it". It still boggles my mind everytime a "bowhunter" asks why, makes a guy wonder??????
    But then again if we simply procede forward without having a logical reason behind how we manage our animals I'm sure we'll do great Its a good approach don't educate, simply dissmiss somebody because tehy don't have the same information you posses? Well on that account I guess your not worth explainning much too either.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Damn sorry I asked!

Looking forward to getting together Jim. I have made arrangements to occupy some of Andy's space in Vic for my new office. Lets get together there one day and plan on getting out for lunch!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Rainwater Guest

Kirby, Well your a bowhunter ,maybe you should explain why there is a special bowonly season instead of always playin' the devils advocate. I just get tired of explaining about something that's been around for so long but will give it a shot for the newcomer. A lot bow seasons are based on biologically reasons that allow for an extended season or an early season where impacts on wildlife numbers will be minimal. An early season allows the bowhunter to attempt to get an animal which has not been alarmed by rifle shots or the mass amounts of people which show up for a general open season. It is usually only about 9 days long so does not impact on anyone else's season, it offers a quiet, safe time in the woods again with a limited harvest. The late season allows bowhunters the opportunity to hunt animals either in the rut or when snows keep deer feeding or moving, not the best time to be shooting them with guns due to the possiblity of over harvest. Late season also offers the bowhunter better ability to track a shot deer as blood shows up good in the snow. Once again this offers a safer environment for the camo'd bowhunter with no biological impact on the herd (as quoted by regional biologists). Bow seasons can also be offered to hunters in areas where the discharge of firearms would be deemed unsafe. If any bowhunter out there as anything to add please do so.

The methods by which a bowhunter hunts are unique to the weapon, and often different than those of a rifle hunter. There are times as a bowhunter that you may be stalking into very close range and this requires solitary space to do it. During a GOS a bowhunter on a close stalk often has his chosen animal alerted or shot by another hunter using a longer range weapon.

You've seen discussion about how bowhunters use treestands. It is not uncommon in some areas for bowhunters to be set up within site of each other, or at least very close. IE 5 guys, within 600 yards. During a GOS it is difficult to be effective using such techniques and patterning animals.

To bowhunt effectively and get within range requires more attention to the stealth inititiatives, during a GOS this has often placed the bowhunter in a compromised safety situation.

When a rifle sounds in the forest, all the critters are aware and alert. When an arrow sinks deep into the heart of an animal, no one hears it, the animals are not put on alert and nature continues as it should.

JT

Angry Re: join ubbc

Aaarrgghhhh. Why did I beat myself over the head with a bat? Because it felt so good when i quit. Special bow opportunity reason's have been explained a million times. If a person can't figure out why it is tougher to bag an animal with a bow than it is with a rifle I don't think they should be allowed in the woods. This horse sh-t has got to stop. And this is why the rift between bow hunters and rifle hunters is widening!!!!

Is the UBBC a member of the BCWF?
    What has the UBBC done to enhance and protect the hunting opportunities for all hunters?
    What will the UBBC do to enhance and protect the hunting opportunities of all hunters in the future?

Thumbs up Re: join ubbc

416- How much bow hunting opportunity has your local fish and game club got for you? That is the reason you should join the UBBC. As was stated before, the UBBC supports all legal methods of bow hunting in BC, which includes the crossbow.