Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Re: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Raw meat is good. I feed my dogs raw meat.
    If you live in LM look up Surrey Meat packers.
    They prepare, grind up and freeze in 1lb blocks a mix of beef/chicken/vegetable/bone mix.
    Like someone said above dogs are not true carnivores and they eat other things to supplement their diet.
    I'll echo this - great place to get raw food for your dog. I use the "Beef/Chicken/Veg", which includes the bones and makes up about 10-20% of the meail. I buy a 50lb. box for about $65. I feed my 120 lb. Swissie 2lbs. a day, sometimes frozen, sometimes I thaw it. He's healthy and happy. I've done a CRAPLOAD of research on this, and talked it over with my vet as well, and this is the way to go.

He's fed nothing cooked, and I watch him like a hawk when we're at the river, salmon fishing, as raw salmon has parasites that can be fatal to dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by MillBay View Post
    "Mill bay . If you want to go there then yes.......I think that many people have unhealthy bonds to their pets."

How can a bond to your pet be "unhealthy", you a physiatrist?
    I rest my case!
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

"I rest my case! "

My dog loves to get a bit of cooked meat. I boil it for a bit and then fire it in the dish - never had a complaint about cooking style, taste or toughness! Now, to get the same reaction out of others????

Ya the vet bill thing can be a bit ridiculous. I had a border collie when I was younger, amazing dog. It got a stick stuck in its throat when we were playing fetch (those dogs are crazy fast and it bounced when he went to grab it) and theres no way I could put a dog down for that, even with the 500 dollar vet bill. On the other hand, I have a friend who gave his dog double knee surgery for 7000+ and that is stupid IMO even if it is a good dog.
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast