Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Re: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Is raw meat a lot better than cooked? At the end of the season, I pressure can all my trimmings along with bones, skins, fins, etc., from all the fish I catch and dog-eatable vegetables. I do this to make room in my freezer. does the quality suffer a lot being cooked?
    The theory is that by cooking the meat you lose a lot of the nutrients, just like when Mom boiled the veggies for an hour before supper.

Wolves, Coyotes, etc. live on wild game, of course, BUT (big "BUTT" here), they eat the whole animal, not just the flesh. By eating the whole animal (including the stomach contents, internal organs, etc.) they get all of the nutrition they require. If you feed only the meat and bones to a dog you'll need to do some research on what the proper other nutrients would need to be added so that the dog gets everything it needs.

Keep in mind that quality dog food is meat based, not corn based. The cheap dog foods always list corn as the first ingredient (manufacturers are required to list the ingredients in the order they are mixed from the most to the least). Example: Hills Science Diet Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe lists Lamb meal first, Brewer's Rice Second, etc. on down the line until every ingredient is listed. These foods will also list the protein content, fat content, vitamins, minerals, etc... These companies have experts in dog nutrition developing their dog chow.

I've bred dogs for almost 30 years now. I currently have 5 adult dogs, but I've had as many as 8. I've never fed anything but a quality dog food. My dogs are extremely healthy and live to an average of 14 to 16 years of age. The only time my dogs need a vet is when they are injured.....I've never had to take a dog to my vet because of illness. Their coats and skin are fantastic. They have great stamina in the field (I hunt them nearly every day in the fall). They live outside year round. I have insulated dog houses, but they are not heated. Would they be as healthy and live as long if I feed them animals I killed and added some veggies? I don't know, to be honest. I would assume they wouldn't, but who knows?

Keep in mind that with raw meat you are going to be dealing with tapeworms if it is wild meat. You'll need to worm them on a regular basis if you feed them deer, elk, etc. Tapeworm medications is not cheap. Also, a diet too heavy in protein can cause kidney problems... One of the leading causes of premature deaths in dogs.

I don't think you will save much money in the long run by feeding raw meat and adding in veggies. You'll need to give the dog a vitamin mineral supplement, or at least I would. Preparing, storing, etc. will be a pain in the butt and time consuming. If you feed a quality dog food (one that is meat based), you will only need to feed a small amount each day. Example: A 60 pound dog only needs 3 to 4 cups/day. I pay $29.00 for a 40 pound bag of Diamond Brand dog food.....not sure what it costs in Canada, but that's what I pay here. There are approximately 194 cups of food in a 40 pound bag, which calculates out to about $.15/cup. If you feed 3.5 cups/day that calculates out to about .$53/day to feed a dog...... less than the cost of a cup of coffee these days even if you feed twice that amount. If you can't afford to buy a bag of dog food once/month, you can't afford a dog. One encounter with a porcupine, a car, barbwire fence, dog fight with another dog, etc. and you'll soon find out that the price of dog food can be a drop in the bucket compared to vet bills. Then there is the cost of vaccinations, a dog house, kennel run, collars, leashes, etc., etc., etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by BearSupreme View Post
    Has anyone had a problem feeding their dog raw bear meat? like worms or anything?
    Bear meat can carry the trichinosis parasite. I was about to post suggesting that you should cook the bear meat, but did a little reading first. From this article on peteducation.com it sounds like the effects of the parasite are not significant in dogs, and the larvae can be killed by freezing (-15 C for 20 days). So maybe it doesn't matter much?

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    I am sorry to rain on your parade mate, but honestly if you cant afford to feed a dog and are already looking for a way to cut corners, then you really can not afford to have one. Feed is only a small portion of the cost of owning animals. If you are concerned about the cost food what will you do if suddenly faced with a $700 vet bill (which is no where near the high end). I would suggest that you wait untill you are more financially stable before even contemplating a lifetime commitment like a dog. Again sorry but it is just the cold hard truth.
    you could just be rational and not spend 700 on the dog if such a thing came up......and enjoy your dog till it dies of old age cause it never came up in the first place.....

I have seen many people bury themselves financially over a dog or horse all for fear of dealing with a loss....and lose the animal anyway or have a cripple for years....

it is always an option to get another dog if the worst happens. You just decide what your limits are and if bad luck takes you down that path you already have made that choice....

I doubt the above is very politically correct...
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

It doesnt take very much to run up a $700 vet bill these days we certainly art talking treminal illnes for that "piddly" amount
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Just curious, you don't let you pup chew on cooked bones do you. They get brittle and the small pieces once ingested can do serious harm in the long run. My Alsasion (Sheppard) growing up was a neighbourhood scrounge. At whatever the locals would give her. Apparently it was the cooked chicken bones that got here in the end. The scar tissue in the intestinal tract eventually blocked the way out.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Dogs can digest raw bones.......their digestive juices are designed to do that. Cooked bones are another story... They will splinter and cause blockages. According to my vet, pork chop bones and steak bones are the worst.

"I have seen many people bury themselves financially over a dog or horse all for fear of dealing with a loss....and lose the animal anyway or have a cripple for years....

it is always an option to get another dog if the worst happens. You just decide what your limits are and if bad luck takes you down that path you already have made that choice...."

That's a very broad statement every situation is different. If you attitude is just put the dog down I can get another one, well then they probably haven't bonded as part of your family. IMO

Mill bay . If you want to go there then yes.......I think that many people have unhealthy bonds to their pets.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

"Mill bay . If you want to go there then yes.......I think that many people have unhealthy bonds to their pets."

How can a bond to your pet be "unhealthy", you a physiatrist?