Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Re: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Raw meat is good. I feed my dogs raw meat.
    If you live in LM look up Surrey Meat packers.
    They prepare, grind up and freeze in 1lb blocks a mix of beef/chicken/vegetable/bone mix.
    Like someone said above dogs are not true carnivores and they eat other things to supplement their diet.
    what do they charge per lb? I've been paying 30.54 for a 19.2 lb block of ground chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    I am sorry to rain on your parade mate, but honestly if you cant afford to feed a dog and are already looking for a way to cut corners, then you really can not afford to have one. Feed is only a small portion of the cost of owning animals. If you are concerned about the cost food what will you do if suddenly faced with a $700 vet bill (which is no where near the high end). I would suggest that you wait untill you are more financially stable before even contemplating a lifetime commitment like a dog. Again sorry but it is just the cold hard truth.
    x2 well put Firepower

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    what do they charge per lb? I've been paying 30.54 for a 19.2 lb block of ground chicken.
    It goes anywhere between $1 and $5 per pound.
    Check them out here http://surreymeatpackersltd.com/petfood.html
    They have the prices on the web site.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Thank you all very much for your responses. I agree that I wouldnt be responsible enough to own a dog if im worried about food costs, and i appreciate your honesty. Has anyone had a problem feeding their dog raw bear meat? like worms or anything?
    Too bad spending the last 6 years becoming a butcher has left me with minimal jobs, with minimum wage. I hope that turns around soon, thanks again everyone!
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

I've been feeding my dog bear since she was a pup, the trick is I don't give her just any scraps. Essentially she gets the calves and less desirable meat I won't feed my family because it's too much fuss. It's not the only meat she eats but it is about 50%. If it's not fit for me it's not fit for her. I never feed anyone or anything any meat that is even slightly discoloured or damaged in any way from the bullet wound. I've been told your not supposed to feed dogs raw moose either not a worry here, I seldom get a moose. Don't recall the exact reason but it was a concern over bugs of some type. She also gets bone on a very regular basis and makes short work of getting the marrow out of them. The trick I found is to remove the knuckle. It's not nice to be woke in the early AM to the sound of a big dog puking up the end pieces. I freeze the bones for a few days then use an old chop saw to remove the bad bits. Also gives her a head start on opening the bone to get too the good stuff!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    I am sorry to rain on your parade mate, but honestly if you cant afford to feed a dog and are already looking for a way to cut corners, then you really can not afford to have one. Feed is only a small portion of the cost of owning animals. If you are concerned about the cost food what will you do if suddenly faced with a $700 vet bill (which is no where near the high end). I would suggest that you wait untill you are more financially stable before even contemplating a lifetime commitment like a dog. Again sorry but it is just the cold hard truth.
    As has been mentioned, vet bills can be quite high. I had a german shepherd mix (95 lbs.) that developed an abcess of the scent gland beneath the tail. Before we found out that the abcess had burst, we spent just over $1000. dollars for one months supply (60 pills) and then we tried surgery. That's when we found out the abcess had burst.
    The vet said we could try the med route and another surgery again but it probably wouldn't be any more successful so we had to do the humane thing and let her go.

You never know when the BIG vet bills are going to jump out at you.
    MDRGC
    BCWF
    NFA

Is raw meat a lot better than cooked? At the end of the season, I pressure can all my trimmings along with bones, skins, fins, etc., from all the fish I catch and dog-eatable vegetables. I do this to make room in my freezer. does the quality suffer a lot being cooked?
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

you also have the gas factor i used to feed my hounds lots of scraps from butcher shops cow heads etc but they could get very gassy

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Is raw meat a lot better than cooked? At the end of the season, I pressure can all my trimmings along with bones, skins, fins, etc., from all the fish I catch and dog-eatable vegetables. I do this to make room in my freezer. does the quality suffer a lot being cooked?
    I don't think it really matters a whole lot. But raw food is good. Meaty bones are the best it gives them something to work on and keeps their teeth nice and clean.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I don't think it really matters a whole lot. But raw food is good. Meaty bones are the best it gives them something to work on and keeps their teeth nice and clean.
    No worries, there. Elk and deer legs disappear quickly and 38" moose rack is down to the pedicle. thanks
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"