Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

Hey everyone. Ive been wanting to get a dog for a while, but I dont think I could afford to feed the size of a dog I want to get, but I know I could easily hunt enough meat for my dog. Ive worked as a butcher for over 5 years, and Ive made countless packs of ground meat with some veggies to mix it up. Is it possible to feed your dog only meat and veggies? It seems like the commercial dry food is mainly corn and grains, which doesnt seem as beneficial to a dog as raw meat, but could I feed the dog only the raw meat/veggie mix? I would hate to get a dog and make it sick, so if anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
    - A hunter who doesn't bring home the meat is just an outdoor enthusiast

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Feeding a dog mainly raw game meat?

A raw food diet like you are suggesting is widely believed to be the best possible for dogs. Less dander, healthy coats. The fact that you are a butcher makes it all the more perfect. Go for it.

Dogs are meant to live on raw meat. Look at wolves. My .02 . Crack an egg in there breakfast every morning.
    2011 elite hunter 28" 70#
    100 grain Montec CS

thats all my 2 year old wolf cross eats, raw meat and bones, and she is in great shape, and good coat on her aw well,,,and she is a real baby as well, she will eat dog food if i pit dripping from cooked meat on it,, oh and i am a butcher as well, and i save any and all bones from game if no one wants it, and feed it to her till i run out,,

Quote Originally Posted by BearSupreme View Post
    Hey everyone. Ive been wanting to get a dog for a while, but I dont think I could afford to feed the size of a dog I want to get, but I know I could easily hunt enough meat for my dog. Ive worked as a butcher for over 5 years, and Ive made countless packs of ground meat with some veggies to mix it up. Is it possible to feed your dog only meat and veggies? It seems like the commercial dry food is mainly corn and grains, which doesnt seem as beneficial to a dog as raw meat, but could I feed the dog only the raw meat/veggie mix? I would hate to get a dog and make it sick, so if anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
    Dogs need more than just meat........they also need raw bone for calcium and phosphorus, as well as all kinds of trace elements like iodine........ do some research to learn more on the BARF diet.

The raw diet is great but it also requires supplements like said, there is tons on the net about this and you will not regreet making this change

I am sorry to rain on your parade mate, but honestly if you cant afford to feed a dog and are already looking for a way to cut corners, then you really can not afford to have one. Feed is only a small portion of the cost of owning animals. If you are concerned about the cost food what will you do if suddenly faced with a $700 vet bill (which is no where near the high end). I would suggest that you wait untill you are more financially stable before even contemplating a lifetime commitment like a dog. Again sorry but it is just the cold hard truth.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

I have fed my Rottie since a pup a blend of good quality kibble in the morning and raw for dinner. She's nearly 7 and is healthy as a horse. I only give my dog the trim that I won't feed my family and the same donated from great guys like Big Bore and Elkhound that cut their own. She's eaten a wide variety of game trim even bear. Bear is contravertial I know, but I've not seen any issue with it ever.

If your working as a butcher your supply of trim must be endless. Just don't use too much fat, domestic raised meat is fugly!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Feeding raw is great, our two have been on it almost all of their lives, but please do some research into it before starting.
    Check into the pros and cons.
    As others have suggested, it's not just tossing your dog a chunk of meat, you may need supplements, veggies, fruits, bones, etc. to ensure it meets their nutritional needs.
    Bear is controversial, we would never feed raw bear meat due to the possibility of worms, etc.
    You do need to practice "food safe" to a much higher degree than if you are feeding kibble. Nothing like having a pile of raw meat sitting beside the salad.

Raw meat is good. I feed my dogs raw meat.
    If you live in LM look up Surrey Meat packers.
    They prepare, grind up and freeze in 1lb blocks a mix of beef/chicken/vegetable/bone mix.
    Like someone said above dogs are not true carnivores and they eat other things to supplement their diet.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach