Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Camouflage Vs. No camouflage?

Re: Camouflage Vs. No camouflage?

The good thing about that orange hat is that it, unlike many of the reds, has no blue in it. Many of the reds have a blue factor to make them darker.
    The silhouette of the guy is perfect as it blends right in as a rock, or other object and doesn't look like a man.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

The thing with camo is its not so much about blending in as it is about functionality. Name me some non camo gear that is as dry and warm and quiet as some sitka gear and I'll gladly switch. I rather be warm and dry sitting for hours glassing, or able to move silently through the bush then look "normal "

That's easy sky-runner. A good "cowichan sweater" (raw wool) over a wool shirt with a polyester undershirt and winter issue military wool pants over long johns, with an orange wool toque will do the job nicely. Always layer your clothing so that you can add or delete as the temperature dictates.
    Had a pair of cheap (and I mean dirt cheap) japanese hiking boots once that were probably the warmest and most comfortable boots I've ever had. Lasted for years and when they finally wore out I have never been able to find a pair that comfortable since.
    Did I make a fashion statement? No. Was I quiet going through the bush feeling warm and dry? You betcha.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

I think you will find the experienced guys less likely to wear a hunting "uniform".
    I got away from camo uniforms over a decade ago.
    I completely support the use wool products.
    Merino wool is an exceptional option.

To add a bit to the conversation...........
    Natural wool will absorb scent molecules to a certain degree.
    More importantly, it suppresses bacteria growth that leads to human body odor.

Most synthetic materials, as a base layer, are brutal for scent building bacteria after a good sweat.
    Bacteria thrives on these synthetic garments.

When it comes to trying to be stealth and hidden in their environment..........
    You can fool their eyes.
    You can fool their ears
    But you can NEVER fool their nose.

One last comment.
    Hermit is absolutely bang on with covering your hands and face if one wants to conceal themselves.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Camo is good, but quiet is better
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn100mile View Post
    I always wear camo. Why? Well, long story short, my father-in-law was shot at multiple times by the same person while wearing bright orange. I try to blend in to the environment. If I see a hunter walking nearby, I lay down or hide behind bushes. Better to not be seen IMO. You never know if some nut job wants to get his kicks by shooting at/towards you intentionally (yes, highly unlikely I know) or is brainless enough to think a bright colored object must be stationary non-human target.
    This is the soundest reason for camo so far. I don't know about someone shooting at blaze orange, perhaps someone that is colour blind. The plaid red and black mackinaw jackets looked totally black over distance so one had to be aware of other hunters mistaking you for a bear or moose. Most camo gear is made for that exact purpose so whether your in or out of the vehicle is moot point
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I wear camo out while hunting but switch to a plad button up for the pic. Just kidding. For bow hunting I rock camo. It definitely helps. Rifle hunting not at all

Watched a cool show on animal eyes .
    All this camo is set up for hu man's and there wallets at the store.☺
    Yes most camo stuff is set up for hunters. = water prof and pockets etc.
    Back to the animal eyes= colour blind. The show did talk camo said solid colours are bad. Anything with patterns are better than a solid green.
    Plus they say biggest give away with there sight is movement.

I think it's moslty marketing. Each brand pushing their best como option. I don't see animals being camo....moose and deer are solid colours for the most part but they sure blend into their surroundings. I do think it's hard to find quiet gear and that said a lot of camo will do better then say just an outdoor companies rain gear (as an example).

[QUOTE=Ourea;1711508]
    Most synthetic materials, as a base layer, are brutal for scent building bacteria after a good sweat.
    Bacteria thrives on these synthetic garments.

While I tend to agree with this part of your post, I should mention that if one is hunting on foot in cold weather, the use of polyester is highly recommended, as it wicks the moisture away from the body into the outer layers of clothing and should you find yourself in a survival situation, it would save your life. The key is to keep several changes of it in your hunting camp so that you can change it often. Best I've heard it put by our search and rescue team is "Cotton Kills!"