Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Camouflage Vs. No camouflage?

Re: Camouflage Vs. No camouflage?

I don't wear camo out of spite, I hate that marketers make it seem as though it is essential, when in reality it is absolutely not. I haven't worn any for years and my success rate has actually increased, that's not to say that the absence of camo is the reason, it's just that it's a non factor. The plus side of camo gear as some have rightly pointed out, is that it is specifically designed for hunting,meaning lots of storage, warmth, and silent when need be. The image of a road hunter covered from head to toe in camo gear is pure comedy. Earth tones will suffice.

It functions, it's quiet and most of all I feel it gives me an edge. Being more confident mentally is a huge piece of kit in any hunters bag.

I've yet to use face paint, but beards do a pretty decent job.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrail View Post
    Big game animals (deer, moose, elk, etc.) are colour blind, so there is really no need for camo, just wear bright orange so you won't get shot. Straight Shootin.
    Big game animals are not colour blind....they just see and different spectrum of light than you or I....most are blue to ultra voilet so reds look black to them.

Camo works good. As long as your not walking through the middle of a logging block all Camo'd up and expecting to walk right up to a animal, without it spotting you. But if your in brush all Camo'd up, I think a animals going to have more trouble trying to make you out than without Camo. When you think about it, how can a cougar sneak up on a group of deer, as long as it's down wind, and not spook the deer? It's because the cougars blending in with the under brush and grass or what ever cover there is. But, the second that cougar starts it's charge, the deer can see it because it's now moving, real fast! Also, why do rabbits change color? Why do deer change from there summer colors to there winter colors? It's so they "Blend" in, much like "Camo" allows us to blend into our surroundings, so yea, I think Camo works. And come on!!! It look's "Cool" too!!!

so reds look black to them.
    No, they'll see red as a shade of grey, just like a colour blind person does.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    Camo works good. As long as your not walking through the middle of a logging block all Camo'd up and expecting to walk right up to a animal, without it spotting you. But if your in brush all Camo'd up, I think a animals going to have more trouble trying to make you out than without Camo. When you think about it, how can a cougar sneak up on a group of deer, as long as it's down wind, and not spook the deer? It's because the cougars blending in with the under brush and grass or what ever cover there is. But, the second that cougar starts it's charge, the deer can see it because it's now moving, real fast! Also, why do rabbits change color? Why do deer change from there summer colors to there winter colors? It's so they "Blend" in, much like "Camo" allows us to blend into our surroundings, so yea, I think Camo works. And come on!!! It look's "Cool" too!!!
    When there is snow on the ground I wear solid white polar fleece coveralls hat and face covering just incase I need to walk across the middle of a 700 yard logging cut to get to a big buck and yes it works very well.

I got into the camo craze back in the 80's but soon learnt that solid od green etc were all I needed plus I didn't feel like an idiot when I bumped into remote area hikers.

My hunting clothes are now mostly solids yes I have camo but only use it at specific times and its very rare that I put it on.

I buy most of my hunting clothes at Costco now tan or OD green BC Clothing quick/dry zip off pants are only $22, Avia quick dry shirts under $20, long sleeve Merino wool shirts for $20, polar fleece 1/4 zip pullover or full zip jackets max $25 and yes I layer I can be set up with two sets of clothes for under $100 I also buy their hiking socks package of 4 pairs is appr $14.

Rain gear is camo and solid Kuiu but I probably wear my made in VAncouver od green Taiga jackets more than anything else.

There are times we wear orange and blue jeans.

I was wearing my white polar fleece coverall when I shot this buck and wolf I always take it off before working on an animal so I don;t get blood on them.

Kuiu jacket, pants and gators

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Newhunter7 View Post
    Hello, I am brand new to hunting and I have so many questions. Most answers I am quickly finding by doing research and reviewing other threads, but I cant seem to find a straight answer for this: Camo or not? I am looking to get into big game hunting in BC regions 2 and 3. I understand that it obviously helps, but is it essential?
    If yes, what brands/types of gear would experienced hunters recommend and why? And do the different camo patterns make a difference?
    And if no, what alternatives do you suggest?

Thanks for the help!
    Not necessary, don't overpay for it, main reason many of us have camo jackets is they come equipped with multiple pockets. A mesh mask to go over your face with eye holes, if you're hiding out watching a clearing, isn't a bad idea...nothing stands out in the wild like a big white mug!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Camp is cool, not essential.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    Hmm, maybe this is my problem. I've got it all down except the footwear ... any idea where I can get some camo crocks?
    my wife has a pair she got from army and navy a couple of years ago..they're out there , you just have to look real hard (cuz they are camo of course)

it`s hot, it`s damned hot, it`s like crotch pot cooking out here...Good Morning Vietnam!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!