Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Gets to take the Shot?

Who Gets to take the Shot?

Say you and a couple of buddies are out on a spring bear hunt, all of you have bear tags, and you just happen to join in together. You spot a nice trophy size black bear but who gets to take the shot and call it "Their Bear"

This kinda relates to all big-game, how do you decide who gets to take the shot?
    "If you're too busy to hunt or fish, you're to busy"
    Proud owner Of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever named "Bell"
    Till the day I die I will always have a Chesapeake

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Who Gets to take the Shot?

We decide before we go out. Usually whoever traveled farthest/has the least time gets first shot. Anything seen on the drive depends on which side its on. I usually hunt with only one buddy. We usually agree to split the meat if only one of us connects. Haven't had an argument yet and that keeps it more of a group effort.

He who spots it first takes it. Also previous years come into play if your with a old hunting partner. Also who needs the meat more, if buddy one can only hunt two days but the rest can hunt all week than buddy one has first shot.

First one to spot gets right of refusal. If they don't want it then the next person to see it gets to take the shot.
    Everybody has the right to be stupid once in awhile, but some people in this world are abusing the privilege.

Spotter is the shooter unless other agreements have been made. I don't like eating bears so I'd let my buddy shoot it so he can deal with that Nasty meat. I usually don't hunt right beside my partners so its never really an issue we always split up it has proven to be more effective an there's no arguing about this kind of stuff
    BIG GAME HUNTER

Who cares, it's just a bear.

Who ever has the best shot.

I would say whoever spots it gets first right of refusal. However that being said, if someone is in front on their quad always, or ahead on the hiking trail, they have a severe advantage, as you can't shoot from behind if you spot an animal. So if this is the case and that guy always has to be in front, you better choose who's day it is before you go out.

We have done a your day my day hunt also. This way it takes the pressure off.

Meat splitting should be discussed pre hunt always. Just to make sure there is no discrepancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Bears are often road hunted, so the "He who spots it, shoots it" is sometimes tough, as they have a way of just popping in front of the truck and everybody sees it "first".

We a pick a guy for pop-ups, all other bears are first dibs to the spotter....

coin toss before the hunt, or draw straws if multiple people are on the hunt. as mentioned if its an old hunting partner then previous seasons to take into concideration