With high wolf numbers lately in many parts of BC and growing concerns about possible declines in moose numbers in places like Reg 5 (and elk/deer numbers elsewhere) guys are getting understandably concerned about a loss of opportunity to hunt. I know I was anticipating a drop in LEH numbers for this coming fall but that has fortunately not been the case (at least on the east side of the Fraser). Despite this, LEH authorizations still only come around every few years if you're lucky, may never come if you're not. There is currently nothing you can do about this except wait till you get lucky or head north.

Back to the wolves, government has been concerned enough about moose/mountain caribou numbers in the east Cariboo region to open a very liberal wolf season with no bag limit and no closed season. Despite this great opportunity, I've met very few people who specifically and seriously target wolves in their hunting activity.

So here is an idea to get hunters in involved in managing the predator/prey balance. When hunters kill a wolf in areas of concern, they bring the fresh cracass or fresh hide to a compulsory inspector to have it verified as a wolf (not the neighbors big dog). The CI then gives the hunter a unique one-time-use code to enter on his LEH application card for a garrenteed moose draw in the same unit the wolf was killed in. This could be run for as long as is neccessary to bring wolf numbers back down to manageable levels. It would encourage hunters to get out for a wolf with the incentive of following up with a moose draw. I would save government money in that they would not need to charter helicopters and shooters to cull wolves as has been done in the past.

I know for me What do you guys think?