Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a little help boat choices.

Re: Need a little help boat choices.

Remember that you will lose about 30%-35% HP when using a jet drive. In other words your 50 HP jet drive becomes a 33 or less HP.

If you go with a power tilt and trim on your motor, in most cases you can lift the engine high enough to avoid rocks in shallow water if your careful. A stainless prop on the package will take a fair amount of dings without causing you too much grief.

Operating a tiller handle on a 40 or 50 HP prop drive is no problem whatsoever......I have never used a jet tiller that large.

My ulterior motive here is that I have an almost brand new (less than 8 hours) 2012 Mercury 40 HP tiller handle with power tilt and trim that I would sell very reasonably.

I bought this engine brand new in Sept of 2012 it and comes with full transferable warranty. The reason I'm selling is that a mud motor would better suit my uses.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I believe the Mercs HP rating is what you get from the jet. So one that has a 65 on it is giving you the 65hp. Am i wrong?
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post
    I believe the Mercs HP rating is what you get from the jet. So one that has a 65 on it is giving you the 65hp. Am i wrong?

That's not what I've been told by a number of Mercury dealers and technicians regarding outboards. They all warned me about losing 30-35% HP when you have a jet drive. The leg is the only change between a prop drive and a jet drive.........the motor head is the same for both.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I was just on the stamp last week and the guide from west coast adventures has 140 hp tiller jet so a 40-50 will be no problem!

The mercury 40 factory jet uses a 60hp power head so it is 60hp at the crank and 40hp out of the jet.If you install a jet drive on an existing outboard you will loose about 30%.

I think Dano has the second boat you are looking at

Look to the US for purchase, friends have saved lots of money doing similar

Quote Originally Posted by sed8ed View Post
    I have decided (and got permission) to buy a new boat for the coming fishing season and later, duck season. My choices have been narrowed down to the following boats but I need a little help weighing the pros and cons... hopefully someone has either of these two styles and can weigh in.

Uses:
    50% waterfowling: Pitt river, goose island, westham island foreshore, fraser river back eddies and sloughs
    25% Pulling crab/prawn traps in Indian arm, putting around with the wife to the small islands, heading up to the mouth of the arm for fishing and hunting
    15% Salmon fishing on the fraser, probably below the Rosedale bridge, however I may venture higher if the boat can handle it
    10% Hunting up north: floating rivers, accessing points off Williston lake

Boat choices:
    Lowe Frontier 1546 http://www.loweboats.com/2013/huntin...frontier-1546/

• Pros: Lightweight (290 lbs, can put it on top of the enclosed trailer when I go hunting up north), narrower trailer width for ease of storage, easy on fuel, cheaper, can trade my existing 8hp for a 25hp straight across the board, shallower draft for marshes
    • Cons: Can only take a 25hp max (is that enough power for the fraser/williston?) narrower beam, less cargo capacity,

Lowe Frontier 1650 http://www.loweboats.com/2013/huntin...frontier-1650/
    • Pros: Higher capacity, more room for buddies if they come hunting, higher HP rating @ 40hp, wider beam for greater stability
    • Cons: 460lbs, I am not moving this around by myself but I could still take this boat up north if I invest in a boat loader for the truck and put the quad underneath, trailer is 7' wide now, fuel usage is double, total costs are around $2000 more for this boat

You don't need a jet boat on the local marshes - all you will do is make a huge racket and waste a ton of cash.

A 12/14 foot, flat bottomed boat fitted with a 15-20hp short shaft motor, will be more than enough.

If you want to fish the Frazer or Harrison this boat will be fine - if you want tackle big water buy a "deep v" and add a wet deck along with horsepower.

Take a drive down to Cabelas in Tulalip, they have the perfect boat for you - and their price is right.
    Last edited by Kudu; 03-15-2013 at 11:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Yeah, I am shying away from the jet now... looked up how well they work in anything other than skinny water and the reviews were quite poor.

Kudu - The wife actually talked me out of buying a 1436 and just using my existing motor on it... she didn't want a repeat of her having to drive to mission to pick me and the boat up and then up to Gill to get my truck where I left it... too much current to make it back up

I am leaning back towards the 1542 now... motor trade, selling my little cargo trailer to buy a used boat trailer and selling my zodiac... I am only looking at around $2,200 additional for the 1542. That leaves a good chunk more cash to spend on other life expenses (like a new rifle and scope)

In two or three years, we are planning on buying a deep water/family boat anyways... probably a Maverick DV... just have to finish the reno's on the house first. Keeping in mind though, that is a lot of boat to take out hunting and fishing on a regular basis

I run the Lowe 1852mt for hunting and its great, my thoughts are the more room the better. Now it's a great Lake and marsh boat but running up the "arm" is a different story. I live on the north shore and have run under the Iron Workers Bridge to Cates Park and under the First Narrows to fish the Cap a few times and I'm here to tell you she does not like any type of wave action and she is rough!
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

FWIW, I think Steeleco has a boat/motor combo for sale - It sounds to me it's right up your alley.
    Maybe toss him a PM....

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean