Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Turkey Contest Rules and Sign Up

2013 Turkey Contest Rules and Sign Up

1. 2013 SPRING TURKEY CONTEST rules and sign up.

1. HBC SPRING TURKEY CHALLENGE

Okay this is the third year of this event and it is getting close to turkey season and the time for chasing those birds is quickly approaching! So why not make it a little more interesting this year. Enter this annual event in which any members of HBC can join (nothing like a little healthy competition). We had 51 members join last year’s contest and it was great. We had lots of nice birds come in and got a bunch of new people out there.

Team STRUT BUSTERS were the 2012 Spring Turkey Champs. Congrats guys, way to go.
    Team score: 186.15625

Rules:

1) Everyone who hunts turkey in B.C. with legal equipment is eligible for entry into this contest including shotgun and archery equipment.

2) The contest will run April 15 – May 15. Pictures must be posted by 9:00 pm EST May 15 in order to count for points.

3) The team with the most points scored by its members will "win". The 1st place team will be awarded the coveted title of HBC Turkey Champs for the 2013 season.

4) The N W T F scoring system will be used for scoring. Link to scoring calculator at bottem of the page.

5) It is your responsibility to post your team # and name when checking in a bird.

6) Teams will be randomly assigned with 5 or10 members on each team depending on the amount of people signed up. Please sign up only if you really think you will turkey hunt in the spring of 2013. You have to enter a bird to be eligible for the draw (IF THERE ARE PRIZES DONATED). We will build teams of 5 or 10 people per team, using a computer program to randomly assign team members. Of course this works best if we get an even multiple of 10 people registered (10, 30, 40, 60, etc.). In the likely event we do not get an even multiple of 10 people (eg 17, 33, 52, 67, etc.), we will take the last several people who registered (by order of registration, beyond the last multiple of 10) and put them into the “last team”. The next several people to sign up on the official thread after “official registration” closes at 9:00 pm EST April 12 (assuming there are any who sign up late) will be placed into the “last team” in the order they sign up so that the “last team” can have a full roster of 5 or 10 hunters (this may not happen, in which case the “last team” will play shorthanded). These will be the only exceptions to the “official registration” deadline of 9:00 pm EST April 12 (we have to draw a line somewhere to make the administration of the contest manageable – this is not our full time job). If you miss the sign up for this year’s contest don’t worry – in less than a year you will be able to register for next year’s contest!

Again, we will not make substitutions for people who do not actively participate in their team (too much of an administrative headache) or later want to drop out, so be sure you are committed to participating in this before signing up. This is part of the luck of the draw.

7) A picture of your bird must be posted in the league play 2013 HBC Turkey Contest check station thread, under the contest thread that will be started after teams are chosen.

Rules may be edited if needed and all decisions by the moderation staff helping with this contest are final.

9) If any prizes are donated by the hunting community a list of the companies and individuals donating prizes will be posted and updated as necessary. If you check in a bird you will be eligible for a random drawing of the prizes.

10) We will start threads in league play for each of the team members to check in. I encourage all teams to pm their team members to get them involved and prepped for the contest.

11) After your team comes up with a name please have one member post the team name in the Turkey Team Name Selection Thread. We will edit the team thread title and put the name into the official score sheet.

12) The final and most important rule is that you must have fun and enjoy every moment in the turkey woods this season!

Good luck and good hunting!

How to Score Your Wild Turkey
    Before you begin to score your turkey, be sure to note that all measurements are taken in 1/16-inch increments and converted to decimal form.

Step 1:
    Weigh your bird in pounds and ounces and convert ounces to decimal form.

Step 2:
    Measure each spur. Spurs must be measured along the outside center, from the point at which the spur protrudes from the scaled leg skin to the tip of the spur. Add both spur measurements and multiply the combined length of the spurs by 10. This is the number of points you receive for the turkey’s spurs.

Step 3:
    Measure the beard length (a beard must be measured from the center point of the protrusion of the skin to the tip) and convert it to decimal form.
    Next, multiply the beard length figure by 2; this is the number of points you receive for the beard length. If you have an atypical bird (multiple beards), measure each beard, convert them to a decimal number, then add those figures together and multiply by two. This is the number of points you receive for your turkey’s beards.

Step 4:
    Add together the weight, the points for spurs and points for beard(s): This is the score you receive for your turkey.

You can calculate the score of your turkey with our scoring calculator.
    Score calculator link.
    http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html
    Although you may use the score calculator to figure out the final score of your bird, we ask that you post the weight and measurements of your bird with the picture.
    Any question post BCBrez
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2013 Turkey Contest Rules and Sign Up

Let's hear it, who's in this year?
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

next to a nice fishing hole on the Horsefly

sign me up there BCBrez

Sure thing...sign me up.

im in sign me up please!

I'm in! Gotta start feeding them again.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Just booked my time off yesterday. I'm in.
    Twist and pull.

sweet! im in as well. im getting cabin fever bad

Yes please....but put me on the winning team this year
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I wish I could this year but I moved another 16 hours north and I won't be able to get time off as of right now. I will see what I can do, maybe I can make it down on my week off. Good hunting!
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem