Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting License? Extended Archery Seasons? More Archery LEH's?

Re: Bowhunting License? Extended Archery Seasons? More Archery LEH's?

Well said Ambush. Sounds to me like alot of guys don't want a bowhunting license because those damn bow hunters may get a few extra days afield from the knowledge gained by the license. I don't 5 bucks will restrict anyone from hunting. LOL

Im sure the BC govt would find a "valid" reason to charge triple what Alberta charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    What is the purpose of Alberta's $9.20 additional fee for the privilege of using a bow?

what would be the purpose for BCs bow fee??
    Just like any licence fee part of it goes back into conservation. For the species that are available in other prov BC tags are cheap in comparison so there is a savings there already.

Funny how guys think a small fee would deter people. I would place bets that if BC used more archery seasons instead of going only LEH it would be no issue. If all the areas with a high number of moose LEH gave say a 10 day any bull archery season combined with some LEH tags this added opportunity allow would justify it. This would also give opportunity for hunters beyond the sad excuse immy season with low opportunity of seeing legal game and increases the number of illegal bulls shot every year by guys trying to make a 3pt shrink.

With the legal use of crossbows in BC's archery seasons it is a lot easier for hunters to utilize an archery season than hope for an LEH in some cases.

LEH deters people and lowers hunters numbers more than anything and so do point restrictions. If BC learned to utilize archery seasons properly it actually gives more opportunity than LEH.

As I said in the other thread there is only 1 example I can think of the uses archery seasons properly and that is the southern part of region 6. I know locals in that area are happy to utilize the archery moose//GOS/LEH they have. They get opportunity to hunt moose every year with out dreaming of a 2pt or LEH.

We pay enough for tags as it is.............where as Alberta does offer advantages with longer bow season, and special areas, BC offers very little in the way of incentive for the pointy stick and string crowd. I believe it would be just another tax grab. Just like original the PAL and RPAL were one course, then they figured they could make more $$$ by splitting courses that were almost 90% over lap .........similar to rifle and archery hunting, make the two disciplines separate pursuits and charge the public accordingly, no thanks.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    I buy the archery licence, in Alberta, but then I buy the bird licence to, just to shoot a few pheasants. I don't grumble about the extra few bucks, I'm just very happy to have the opportunity to hunt. Cheaper than a movie, more fun and lasts way longer. Bow hunters in Alberta pay more for having more hunting days in the field than rifle hunters. That seems fair
    .As far as $10 keeping someone from hunting; When the price of gas goes up $0.02 a litre do you stay home. If you buy a coffee, donut and an app for your I-Phone, do you stay out of the woods that weekend or that season?

The problem with checking the "bow hunter box" when you buy your BC licence is that it doesn't mean you are actually going to bow hunt. Maybe just sounds fun at the time.

IMO there should be archery LEH's for most areas/species that have them for rifles. If, for instance, there are 150 bull moose tags available in 7-07 then just add 10 archery only LEH's. A number of hunters would apply for the archery LEH which would better the draw odds for the rifle hunters. And with the low success rates for the archers very few more moose would be taken. Maybe even fewer moose would be killed, because the guy that decides to take on the extra challenge of killing his moose with an arrow, may be one of the more successful rifle moose hunters anyway.
    Keep in mind that the archer would have to hunt in the same area open to the rifle LEH. No restrictions on area, only weapon choice.

Any licensed hunter can participate in an archery only season. It doesn't restrict WHO can hunt, only WHAT you can hunt with. It's funny, I never hear anyone bitch about shotgun only areas.

It's pretty simple really. Almost all of the areas/seasons that are archery only are there because of conservation and safety reasons. If there was no archery season, there would be no season at all, for anybody.
    But some people are just selfish enough that they would rather have nobody hunting if they can't [won't] hunt themselves.

I believe archery LEH could create more opportunity for bow and rifle hunters.
    At first blush this looks like circular logic - odds are about demand versus supply?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    No, No and No
    What he says !

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Ok thanks for pointing that out, can’t believe how wrong I was and how right you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I don't know why he always attacks me so vicously.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Just like any licence fee part of it goes back into conservation. For the species that are available in other prov BC tags are cheap in comparison so there is a savings there already.

Funny how guys think a small fee would deter people. I would place bets that if BC used more archery seasons instead of going only LEH it would be no issue. If all the areas with a high number of moose LEH gave say a 10 day any bull archery season combined with some LEH tags this added opportunity allow would justify it. This would also give opportunity for hunters beyond the sad excuse immy season with low opportunity of seeing legal game and increases the number of illegal bulls shot every year by guys trying to make a 3pt shrink.

With the legal use of crossbows in BC's archery seasons it is a lot easier for hunters to utilize an archery season than hope for an LEH in some cases.

LEH deters people and lowers hunters numbers more than anything and so do point restrictions. If BC learned to utilize archery seasons properly it actually gives more opportunity than LEH.

As I said in the other thread there is only 1 example I can think of the uses archery seasons properly and that is the southern part of region 6. I know locals in that area are happy to utilize the archery moose//GOS/LEH they have. They get opportunity to hunt moose every year with out dreaming of a 2pt or LEH.

so the purpose of the additional fee is for conservation purposes?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Its funny how just the mention of bow only opportunity strikes fear into the hearts of so many. Some people have to loose the"if I can't have it nobody can" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    $32 base price + $10 bow fee. I think it would drive people away from bow hunting, personally.
    I would pay it. I personally enjoy early and late season to much to let that stop me .
    Im sure alot of other die hards would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Muliechaser View Post
    I would pay it. I personally enjoy early and late season to much to let that stop me .
    Im sure alot of other die hards would agree.
    Wouldn't you want to know the reason you are paying additional fees over rifle hunters?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!